,

by: Kalani,Dustin,Wendy,Oswaldo,Janie

“Models are the people that everyone looks up to models are known to be this and that they are your role models these are your standards…” (Billie Eilish). These words embody the fact that people have been brainwashed to believe that they need to look a certain way in order to be seen as pretty. Tally was a “ugly” who was getting ready to go into the medical procedure and be able to see herself as a “pretty”. Tally was excited about the medical procedure since she didn’t know what it truly was. She was worried about getting to Pretty town as soon as possible and be able to be with her friend Peris and her parents who had also gotten the procedure so she had no idea it was bad. Because she has been encapsulated in a world where people tell you, you must change your body and the way you were born to be “normal and pretty” she has to learn how to resist and fight back after learning what the true medical process is. Besides this Tally gets taught about natural beauty from a group of people called the Smokies who actually resist and run away from getting the surgery. She joined her friend Shay and David and the rest of the Smokies in order to see reality. In the book Uglies by Scott Westerfeld the hegemonic ideology that explains the whole book would be pretty is perfect, but to be pretty you must get surgery. In our presentation you can see how our group chose to use hegemonic ideologies to end with a better society then in the actual book.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pecha kucha presentation “Uglies” by Kalani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.