Why faction over blood? Imagine living in a world where the community is divided into five factions or sections. The factions are Dauntless (the brave),Amity (the kind), Erudite (the intelligent), Abnegation (the selfless), and Candor (the honest). It is Mandatory to choose faction over family once a person turns 16 years old. Beatrice Prior (also known as Tris), who is about to make the most difficult choice of choosing her faction. Her faction determines a lot of things for her; her faction determines her profession, her customs, her clothes, her home, her diet. After she make this choice, there is no going back. In the novel by Veronica Roth, the main tool of hegemonic ideology is force because Tris was forced to choose her faction once she turned 16 years old, her family was forced to see her as an enemy when she choose a different faction and she was forced to train or else she will be factionless.

My team’s thesis was that we can fight hegemonic ideologies by using violence. The reason we chose violence to fight the hegemonic ideologies is because in Divergent they use violence to take power. Since most fractions want to follow Jeanie who is the leader of Erudite as shown in slide 4 we choose to kill her. The reason we are killing her is because she wants power over the whole community. Another person my team will kill is Eric who is shown in slide 10. The reason is because he is helping Erudite kill Abnegation by using Dauntless which he is the main leader. Lastly, the person we will kill is Peter who is also shown in slide 12. The reason is because he tried to kill Tris who is Divergent, and is also helping Erudite. Overall, we want people to accept people who are Divergent and not kill them, also to have a society that doesn’t allow only one person to have power.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Changing Divergent by Evelin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Karen Sahota 10 months ago

I really liked how you guys made the slides, they were both informative and also entertaining. My one question, is that could there be another way to get people to accept divergence other than by violence? You wrote you wanted people to, “accept people who are Divergent and not kill them”, but isn’t it contradictory because you have to kill people in order to achieve that? I really liked this post though because i remember reading the whole divergent series and wondering how it would be if it was real and this post made me think more about that.