,

My name is Taheem Washington and I am 18 years old. One important thing to know about me is that I’m a unique person not like everyone else. I was born on the 27th of October in the year 2000. Something important happened to me when my family and I had a great conversation that showed me that school was important and ever since then I started taking school seriously. I used to live in Brooklyn. I was born and raised there until I was 16.

When I’m in school, I just like to come and get my work done. One thing I’m good at in school is Economics. I really like that class. The thing I love the most after school is coming home, going to the gym for an hour then coming home to play my games. I’m particularly good at video games. I actually played competitive gaming for two years. I got that way from practice.

Mostly everybody in my family is a gang member besides my mom and grandparents… well maybe not anymore. I personally think joining a gang is probably the stupidest life choice anyone could ever make, just because you can lose your life from it. I’ve actually had family members who were injured from being in gangs. I had a cousin who died from being shot in the back while riding a bike and my dad was shot and stabbed when he was younger from being in gangs. There are so many better things you can do with your life other than gangs such as getting a job, working out, video games, school, college, etc. Is joining a gang the right thing to do? NO!!!!!!!!!!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Video Games or Gangs? by Taheem is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jillian Nelson 7 days ago

Taheem,
    Thank you for sharing your story, it was very courageous of you. Your personal experience with gangs makes it a lot more powerful hearing your advice. In my religion class we read a book about a priest who served a gang dense area. I think you would be really interesting in reading it! It is called Tattoos of the Heart by Greg Boyle

2. Rolando 1 month ago

Estimado Taheem:

Estoy asombrado por su publicación “Video games or gang” porque este es un tema muy interesante que hay que investigar a fondo este tema.

Una frase que usted escribió que se destaca para mi es ” getting a job, working out, video games, school, college, etc. Is joining a gang the right thing to do? NO!!!!!!!!!!” creo que esto es liberador porque es otra forma de pensar de una persona diferente.

Gracias por su escritura . Espero ver lo que escribes a continuación porque este es un tema importante que todos deben conocer.