1. Ivan 7 months ago

Dear Elijah:
    I am surprised by your poem, “Shut Up,” because how
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “We need to elect this man who assaulted a woman to the Supreme Court.” I think this is unexpected because why would you let a sexual assaulter be the president of the U.S.
    Another sentence that I found surprising was: “Your saying this when your wife and parents were and still are immigrants.” This stood out to me because it shows how hypocritical he can be.
    Your poem reminds me of the political climate since Trump won the presidential election. There have been a lot of protests and riots in his time as president while not many in Obama’s time. It’s hard to voice your opinion in public without the possibility of getting beat up.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to see how much you can express your thoughts about this world.

2. Oakley 7 months ago

I like this. The shut up is 2 fold: Trump’s statement followed by the shut up could be Trump telling America to shut up and listen to what he has to say because he is the president (unprofessional, but plausible) and then there is also those who oppose his views, telling HIM to shut up.

3. Marleni 8 months ago

Dear Elijah,
    I am very happy with your poem, shut up because I agree with you how Donald Trump should just shut up since most things he says are riduculous anyways. To me the main message of your poem is how Donald Trump is an oppressive degrading person. I know this because of how you mentioned that he sexually assulted a woman. One line that stood out to me was “Barack Obama is not a citizen and he must be deported, your saying this when your wife and parents were and still are immigrants”. I think this line stands out to me because you are giving an example of what an oppressive person he is. He is even degrading his own family. I really liked how you used the literary device of anaphora when you repeated the word “shut up” multiple times. I think by you using “shut up” is powerful because you are showing how what he says does not affect you. You don’t let his words get to you. Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once wrote. My poem was about how I didn’t allow oppressive people/comments get in my way. Your poem sends an important message about oppression towards immagrants because through your words you are trying to liberate those who feel trapped in a oppressive society. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next!
    Marleni Regalado

4. Keeba 8 months ago

Dear Elijah,
    I am beyond shocked that you choose to present such a serious topic like this. Especially seeing that your in Middle School. I like that you addressed the President quote on quote for every word.

5. Nathan 8 months ago

Dear Elijah:

I am intrigued by your poem, “Shut Up,” because it shows an interesting analysis on the political climate in America today.

One part of your poem that stands out for me is when you began your poem with trump quotes followed by the words shut up. I think this is interesting because it gives great insight into your political views.

Another part that I liked is where you describe Trump’s more controversial views. This stood out for me because it was a great commentary on his actions.

Your poem reminds me of something that I wrote once. One time I wrote a poem about the political climate as well, I found that it was easier to write because my opinions on the topic were stronger.

Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because you seem very passionate about your thoughts.