I don’t want to be here
But here I am
I have no idea who these people are
Yet they still talk to me
Despite the fact that the music is loud and I can’t hear them
They are still talking to me
When will I be able to go home
I just want to sleep
These people have too much energy
And it is getting late
When will this wedding end
It is very awkward
The music is not bad
And I do like to dance but
I don’t want to be here
Yet here I am

Inspired by and in the style of Victor Hernandez Cruz’s “MAN I THOUGHT YOU WAS TALKING ANOTHER LANGUAGE THAT DAY”

1. Angela 1 year ago

Hi Zachary,

I really enjoyed your poem “Why am I here?”. I can relate to the feelings you conveyed in the poem. When you said “I just want to sleep… These people have too much energy,” it reminds me of the days when I couldn’t even get out of bed, and it took so much energy for me to just be at school. Like Jovana said, I also had the same feelings when I moved to Michigan from New York. Thank you for the great poem.

2. Jovana 2 years ago

Dear Zachary,
    I like your poem “Why am I here?” because I like the way you express your feelings. One set of lines that stands out for me is, “I don’t want to be here
    But here I am” and I could relate to that, I had the same feeling as you when I moved from my country to the USA. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next, keep writing poems like this one!