This is for you
The one who has the answers but not the confidence to share it
Surprise ´em
Raise your hand proud
This is for you
The one who always contributes to the class conversation
Surprise ´em
Contribute by listening
This is for you
The one who stays up late just to pick the perfect outfit others will like
Surprise ´em
Show them your real style
This is for you
The one who limits what they wear, because of fear of judgement
Surprise ´em
Wear whatever the hell you want
This is for you
The one who looks in the mirror and compares themselves to others
Surprise ´em
And love yourself because there is only one of you
Whatever it is that scares you
Whatever is just a little out of your comfort zone
Reach for that, grab it, and take it
For you live for yourself and no one else
So
Surprise ´em
In the end you might even surprise yourself.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Surprise ’em by Hanna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chloe 5 days ago

Dear Hanna:
    I am LIVING for your poem,”Surprise ‘Em”, because it is very uplifting. I like the message that you are conveying. One part of your poem that stands out for me is where you tell the reader to wear what you want, no matter what anyone says or thinks. Another part that I liked is where you tell the reader to “Live for yourself and no one else”. This stood out to me because it wraps up the message in your poem. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next because you seem like such an amazing writer.