This is for you
The one who has the answers but not the confidence to share it
Surprise ´em
Raise your hand proud
This is for you
The one who always contributes to the class conversation
Surprise ´em
Contribute by listening
This is for you
The one who stays up late just to pick the perfect outfit others will like
Surprise ´em
Show them your real style
This is for you
The one who limits what they wear, because of fear of judgement
Surprise ´em
Wear whatever the hell you want
This is for you
The one who looks in the mirror and compares themselves to others
Surprise ´em
And love yourself because there is only one of you
Whatever it is that scares you
Whatever is just a little out of your comfort zone
Reach for that, grab it, and take it
For you live for yourself and no one else
So
Surprise ´em
In the end you might even surprise yourself.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Surprise ’em by Hanna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. latrell 4 months ago

Dear Hanna,
    I like your poem the beginning was dope I like how you started it how did you start because when I write I always need help starting. It will be such an honor to tell me how you started but other than that your poem was great.

Hanna 3 months ago

Dear Latrell,
      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my poem, it means a lot. It’s hard for me to start any sort of writing too. What usually helps me get started is to think of the main thing I want to write about, in this case it was about putting yourself out there. I didn’t get my finished poem on the first try, so what I had to do was write a really bad rough draft, and then worked off of that. I find that if you have something written down, no matter how good or bad, its always easier to work off that then nothing. Hope this helped.
      -Hanna Gohlke

2. Wendy 4 months ago

Hanna,
    Your poem really stood out to me because you are telling people that they shouldn’t have to change who they are because the world expects them to be a certain way. The line that really stood out to me from your poem was when you said “live for yourself and no one else”. This line stood out to me because everyone thinks they need to be accepted by society but you are stating that it isn’t true and that’s really strong. Besides that something else that stood out to me was the fact that you kept the poem moving with the line “Surprise ‘Em” that was really interesting. I really enjoyed reading your poem it was impressive and i’m not really into poetry so great job!
    -Wendy Perez Govea

3. Chloe 4 months ago

Dear Hanna:
    I am LIVING for your poem,”Surprise ‘Em”, because it is very uplifting. I like the message that you are conveying. One part of your poem that stands out for me is where you tell the reader to wear what you want, no matter what anyone says or thinks. Another part that I liked is where you tell the reader to “Live for yourself and no one else”. This stood out to me because it wraps up the message in your poem. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next because you seem like such an amazing writer.