Wednesday, October 10.
One of the most powerful hurricanes
ever recorded
slammed into Florida
It was the third-most-powerful
hurricane on record
to hit the continental U.S.
The storm soaked areas
still recovering from last month’s Hurricane
Daylight revealed a horrible scene
Florida families emerged cautiously
from darkened shelters and hotels
to an unfamiliar and perilous landscape
The full extent of the damage
was only slowly becoming clear
“That’s the blade from her ceiling fan.
That’s her floor tile.”
We have to make sure things are safe
No property was left undamaged
Michael was the third-most-powerful hurricane

In this assignment, we were asked to read an article and find lines from an article and form a poem. For my poem, I chose the Hurricane Michael article. I enjoyed this assignment because it was fun forming the sentences into a poem. When I read this poem, it makes me think about how Hurricane Michael affected florida. When other people read this poem, I hope they learn about Hurricane Michael and what it did to florida. I am very soory for all the people affected by Hurricane Michael.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hurricane Michael by Katelyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Eclas 3 months ago

Katelyn, Your poem “Hurricane Michael” really spoke out to me. I love how you decided to write about an important event that we can all learn from. This poem is something we can all take notes on and learn from. Thanks for educating us on this big situation. There is some people who might’ve not even known about this issue. I love the line “Wednesday, October 10.
    One of the most powerful hurricanes
    ever recorded
    slammed into Florida” The way you started off the poem made me as a reader interested in reading!

2. Beatriz 5 months ago

Dear Katelyn,
    I am thrilled by your poem, “Hurricane Michael, because it’s a real event that happened to people and I liked how you got to turn it into a poem that someone could read and learn from. By reading your poem someone can learn what happened to the people in the hurricane and how bad they were affected. To me the main message of your poem is how natural disasters affect people a lot. I know this because of the lines you used in your poem that explained what happened to most of these people’s houses in Florida. One line that stands out for me is, “to an unfamiliar and perilous landscape” I think this line is interesting because it makes us imagine what the place would have looked like after the hurricane since everything had been destroyed being unrecognizable. I really liked how you used the literary device of dialogue when you said “That’s the blade from her ceiling fan.That’s her floor tile.” I think these lines are great because it shows to us what the people said after the hurricane destroyed their things. Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once read. The poem was about natural disasters and explains in detail about earthquakes striking. In the poem the author used imagery in their writing to makes us be able to put a picture in our heads of how the scenery looked like. Your poem sends an important message about direct service because many people who got affected by this hurricane got help from shelters to be protected. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. Thank you for sharing your work and I hope I get to read any other poems you have.
    Beatriz

3. Beatriz 5 months ago

Dear Katelyn,
    I am thrilled by your poem, “Hurricane Michael, because it’s a real event that happened to people and I liked how you got to turn it into a poem that someone could read and learn from. By reading your poem someone can learn what happened to the people in the hurricane and how bad they were affected. To me the main message of your poem is how natural disasters affect people a lot. I know this because of the lines you used in your poem that explained what happened to most of these people’s houses in Florida. One line that stands out for me is, “to an unfamiliar and perilous landscape” I think this line is interesting because it makes us imagine what the place would have looked like after the hurricane since everything had been destroyed being unrecognizable. I really liked how you used the literary device of dialogue when you said “That’s the blade from her ceiling fan.That’s her floor tile.” I think these lines are great because it shows to us what the people said after the hurricane destroyed their things. Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once read. The poem was about natural disasters and explains in detail about earthquakes striking. In the poem the author used imagery in their writing to makes us be able to put a picture in our heads of how the scenery looked like. Your poem sends an important message about direct service because many people who got affected by this hurricane got help from shelters to be protected. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next.
    Beatriz

4. Judith 5 months ago

Dear Katelyn Nguyen,
    I am enlightened by your poem, “Hurricane Michael” because I didn’t know much about this hurricane and its impact before. It was sad learning about how the community was destroyed by this event but also helpful because I now know about it and can inform others. To me, the main message of your poem is that hurricane Michael was very damaging. I know this because you wrote “No property was left undamaged. Michael was the third-most-powerful hurricane” which emphasized just how much people were hurt by talking about it on a larger scale. One set of lines that stands out for me is, “Daylight revealed a horrible scene. Florida families emerged cautiously from darkened shelters and hotels to an unfamiliar and perilous landscape.” I think these lines are striking because your wording made the scene easy to imagine which is really sad to see. Although you had some great imagery, something that can make your poem stronger and more moving is to add metaphors and similes because it’ll be a way to emphasize the message to your reader. Your poem sends an important message about Hurricane Michael because it makes the reader aware that anything can happen all of a sudden so it’s good to be prepared. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I enjoy learning through poetry and your poem was one I learned a lot about.

Katelyn 5 months ago

Thank you for taking your time to read my poem and giving me feedback. The feedback was really helpful. It makes me very happy that some of the lines I wrote stood out to you and helped you imagine what happened. I look forward to reading one of your post.

5. Gregorio 5 months ago

Dear Katelyn,
    I am moved by your poem, “Hurricane Michael” because it talks about what happened in florida and made me reflect on it.
    To me the main message of your poem is Hurricane Michael. I know this because of you talk about the aftermath of what happened in florida after the hurricane.
    One line that stands out for me is, “Daylight revealed a horrible scene” I think this line is deep because what would usually be a good sight of a sunset it would should how terrible everything is.
    Your poem sends an important message about Hurricane Michael because you care about what happened and you talk about the hurricane.
    Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next.