,

Have you ever walked around town and looked
Observed how people act
How they are as a person
What they do in life
Have you ever see someone less fortunate than you
Maybe they’re homeless
Maybe they don’t have enough money to pay rent and eat a full meal every day
Maybe they ask you for some food or some money
But you decide to look away
But why?

We need to start to give and not take

Everywhere in the world,
There is most likely who has it worse than you
Maybe you think you have too much homework
But at least you go to school
Maybe you’re upset that  mom took away your phone
Well at least you have a phone
But let’s be honest being grateful isn’t the problem
Being greedy is
It makes me think

Why don’t we give and not take

We take the land
We take people
We take home’s
It’s been like this forever
But where has this gotten us
Native Americans being tormented for practicing in their own way
Making an enemy with Mexico because we know all they want is a better life for their families
People on the streets
Those same people you decided to not help
We are all citizens of the world
So let’s start

Let’s give and not take

It starts with one simple act
Maybe giving someone a few dollars so they can support their family or get some food
Or maybe just being there to have a conversation with them
They always say a smile goes a long way
So let’s do this
Help and not hurt
Love and not hate
Give and not take

In this assignment, we were asked to write a Speak It! poem on a powerful message. For my poem, I wrote about how society is so obsessed with greed we only think about ourselves. I enjoyed this assignment because I found something I’m passionate about and got to write a poem I really enjoyed writing. When I read this poem, it makes me realize that this has always been a problem we can all fix. When others read this poem, I hope they start to do little acts of kindness because just like the poem says a smile goes a long way.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Give and Not Take by Anaya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Christina 2 months ago

Hi Anaya, I really enjoyed your poem and how you opened my eyes to see the bigger picture of how our society is turning out to be. Your poem also made me feel grateful to have a roof over my head, and meal in stomach, and a phone in my hand because others might not. When you said “we take homes” it made me think about gentrification and how new people with more money are moving in and taking other peoples homes. Overall you had a strong voice in this poem and I hope you continue to write poems.

Anaya 1 month ago

Thank you, Christina, for reading and commenting on my poem. I’m glad this made you have a different perspective on the world. I would love to read some of your work. What do you normally write about? Can you send me a link to some of your work?

2. Roberto Guardado 2 months ago

I kinda agree with your poem and disagree so i’m in the middle because some people or “homeless” ask for money but most of them don’t use it for for a good thing like buy food, but they use it for buy drugs and to continue doing their addictions, which is not going to help them even if we give them a lot of money they are going to continue with their addiction instead of try to really like this part of your poem “Everywhere in the world,There is most likely who has it worse than you
    Maybe you think you have too much homework But at least you go to school, Maybe you’re upset that mom took away your phone Well at least you have a phone.” because we should be happy because of what we have. I enjoy your poem.

Anaya 1 month ago

Thank you, Roberto, for commenting. When I was talking about giving homeless people money I was trying to show an example of helping people. I was trying to get the message out that if you have a few dollars to give then it could help people. Also, not all homeless people are drug loving addicts. Most suffer from mental, physical or emotional problems and they just need help to get back on their feet.

3. alondra 2 months ago

i liked the poem

Anaya 1 month ago

I’m glad you enjoyed my poem.