Paradise, California
A wet place, compared to most of the state.
It averages 55 inches of rainfall a year.
This year, a
                     measly
1/7 of an inch.

Plants and trees were
explosively dry

The result,

was the worst fire in California’s history.
10,300 structures destroyed
          63 dead
dozens still missing

The Campfire still raging in Butte county,
fewer firefighters at hand to battle the Woolsely blaze
help comes from farther away

as far away as Texas.

In a future affected by climate change,
Expect drier autumn and springs,
scientists say.

Tinder-dry plants and trees only fuel fires farther.
Bad news for firefighters,
Who rely on early
 R
        A
 I         
        N
To
Avoid fire season
And ease the threat from winds
                             because winds help spread blazes.

“You’re waiting for a disaster to occur.”

NEWSELA – Predicted climate change could mean longer California fire season

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fires by Medina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Celeste 5 months ago

Dear Medina,
    I am very moved by your poem, “ Fires, “ because it really talks about the issues that happen because of climate change. Also because you’re showing the statistics that have been out because of these fires. Like when you said, “ 10,300 structures destroyed 63 dead dozens still missing [ . ] “ This shows us that you really did your research for this topic. To me the main message in your poem is saying that we need to take care of our planet and need to look out for it. I really enjoyed your poem and it was really moving and inspirational.

Medina 5 months ago

Celeste,
      Thank you for reading my poem. I liked reading your comment because I found it interesting to see how you interpreted it. I think it’s really important to not only talk about climate change, but to also actively change our habits and lifestyle choices to keep our earth in good shape.

Again, thank you so much for taking time to read and write a response to my poem. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
      Medina

2. Kelly 5 months ago

Dear Medina Lam,
    I am loving your poem, “Fires,” because it talks about a serious issue. I love how you explained what were the devastating effects of the fire because it is important to know who was impacted. To me the main message of your poem is that the fire was a disaster. I know this because of how you said “Tinder-dry plants and trees only fuel fires farther”. This shows that the environment was helping the fire and not people.One line that stands out for me is, “You’re waiting for a disaster to occur”. I think this line is amazing because you used someone else’s words to shows your message. This was really strong of you to do because using quotes can help make your writing better.Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once read. In this poem the author talks about climate change and the impacts on people around the world. They described how weather changes also impact animals especially ones in the arctic. Your poem connects to this poem because you both talked about the weather and climate. Your poem sends an important message about nature because while nature can be beautiful it can also cause serious problems. Devastating outcomes can negatively impact people’s entire lives. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. Something that will bring me back to your poems and writing is the fact that you talk about real issues in our society. Also, you are educating people who don’t know that this fire happend or who don’t know the effects. Amazing work and keep pushing yourself :).
    Sincerely, Kelly I.

Medina 5 months ago

Kelly,
      Thanks for taking the time to read my poem and respond to it. Your response is thoughtful, eloquent, and helpful. Your connection of my poem to another was interesting. I liked seeing how you connected to the real world. Do you know where I can find that poem? I’d love to read it. The line “You’re waiting for a disaster to occur” is my favorite line, and I appreciate how you noticed it and it’s meaning.
      Again, thank you for taking time to read and respond to my poem.

Thank you,
      Medina