i sit watching the clouds
implode into the horizon
engulfing then releasing a
ruby red sun whose time is
soon over but will return by dawn
to give the golden ambrosia
of her rays in which we bask
but she is gone and now there is absence
of refraction and the electric buzz
now it is only me
and the moon
and me and my ruby sun
red under the sea

Inspired by and directly imitating Nikki Giovanni’s “winter poem”

CC BY-SA 4.0 dune sunset by Cameron is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chloe 8 months ago

Dear Cameron,
    I am living for your poem, “dune sunset,” because it reminds of the summertime. the way you talk about the sun gives me a reminiscent feeling. One line that stands out for me is, “her rays in which we bask” I think this line is such a creative way to talk about the sun because I felt like I can feel the sun’s rays on my face just from reading this line. Another set of lines that stands out for me is, “she is gone and now there is absence of refraction and the electric buzz now it is only me and the moon”. I think these lines paint a picture of the day transitioning to night because you talk about the sun abandoning you and the moon joins you in your loneliness. Your poem reminds me of a book that I once read and maybe you read it too, “Goodnight Moon”. Its about a bunny and its relationship with the moon.

Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next.