,

When you get stuck in traffic,
Hours upon end

Just remember,
It
could
be
Worse

If you get your wallet stolen
And you can’t pay the taxi

Just remember
It
could
Be
Worse

When you fail an assignment
Get a bad grade 

Remind yourself
It
Could
Be
worse

Whenever you think
Your problems are bad
Always remember
It could be worse.

In this assignment, we were asked to write a poem with a repeated message. For my poem, I wrote about everyday problems and their actual significance. I don’t like writing poetry but this assignment put poetry into a different perspective for me. When I read my own poem it makes me realize that my problems are barely as significant as other peoples problem. I hope that when people read my poem they realize that a small number of your problems are as bad as others. I want everyone to think before complaining, and think about everyone with no food, or living on the streets, think about them, put yourself in your shoes.

Photo by Mina Chan/Startup

CC BY-SA 4.0 It Could Be Worse by Matteo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. destiny esparza aguayo 4 weeks ago

Dear Matteo,
    I re-read your poem about three times just nodding my head and remembering that it really could be worse. Sometimes we are so stuck on the moment itself that we forget that there are people going through way worse things. Though there are way worse situations, it does not mean that we can’t feel bad for ourselves, it just means that we have to remind ourselves that there are ways of getting past the situation without putting ourselves so down. I also really enjoyed reading your summary of what you were supposed to write in this poem. I think it helps us all really think about the times where we have said how terrible our lives are because it’s true, we are fed, we have a roof over our heads, and we are getting an education. Some people cannot have what we have, even if it is the basics. Thank you for such a passionate poem, it is amazing that repeated words can make us feel so much better and be grateful for what we have.

2. Maria 2 months ago

Dear Matteo, I liked the fact that in your poem it feels that you were really honest with your feelings about how life would be worse. It reminds me of people on how they complained for small things in life without having to. To add up one of the lines that i could connect to you is when u say “because you are like giving a reminder to people to realize that people have way worse problems”. It means that I’m not the only one that’s going through things in life or just general.

Matteo 2 months ago

Dear Maria, I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on my poem. I don’t remember saying the line “because you are like giving a reminder to people to realize that people have way worse problems” but t really does apply. people should think about their problems and how it could be worse. If you have written something on youth voices, please leave a link, I would love to read and leave a comment.
      Matteo

3. Yasmin 2 months ago

I am very amazed with your poem because people should realized that it could be worse. People should open there eyes and realize that there small problems aren’t as terrible as other people’s problem who are suffering. I really like your anaphora that you used “It could be worse” because it’s reminding people that they should stop complaining about there small problems. One line that stands out to me is when you said “Whenever you think Your problems are bad Always remember It could be worse.” because you are like giving a reminder to people to realize that people have wayy worse problems. Your poem reminds me of myself because I also do complain about the littlest things but your poem reminded me that others have it way worse. Your poem sends a message to people to think deeper and ask themselves if there problems are that bad because others have it worse. Thank you for your poem I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to see what you have next.

4. Bryan 2 months ago

I liked the premise of your poem. Many people complain about their lot in life, yet do not realize how much worse it could be. Perspective can really change a person, one man’s trash, is another man’s treasure. A garbageman in the US could complain about their job and how doing anything else would be better, yet a brick worker in India working would probably give anything to be in that garbageman’s position.