The play I chose was Shakespeare’s “Othello,” Act 4 Scene 2 lines 159-169.

The character speaking is Emilia. She is very mad about how Othello treats his wife. He calls her a whore and then Emilia begins to criticize and threaten Othello because there’s no possible way that Desdemona hasn’t been a loyal wife all this time.

I learned that the impact of tone, inflection, volume and pacing in your own rehearsal and oral performance is crucial to reciting a passage well. You have to show, with emotion how the character really feels; for example Emilia was drastically upset of Othello’s recent actions.

As I read the passage I learned that Emilia deeply cares for Desdemona and gets very emotionally upset whenever she is spoken down on. She got very angry when Othello called her a whore.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Emotions of Emilia in Othello by Johnny is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.