,

Schools should not be allowed to limit students online speech.

Schools should not be allowed to limit what you say online because the people who were surveyed most said they were not affected. The document tells us that the highest percent of the people who were surveyed were not affected. For example, In the survey form the Association of teachers it states, “had no effect 38.6%”. Which shows us that what was said online about those people did not affect them at all. Which brings us back to let us know that schools should not have authority to limit our speech online.

Another reason why schools should not have authority to limit what you say online because it depends on the time and place it is happening. A document says that students are doing and posting things about a teacher. For instance, in a political cartoon by Jimmy Margulies, he illuminates the idea that, “Privacy and Dignity” is being taken away from him. Which brings us to the conclusion that the students are putting their opinion online which is most likely to be out of school. Therefore our online speech should not be limited by schools.

Lastly the school should not limit the online speech of a student because the speech does  not disrupt the school environment. It happens at home with a home computer. For example the united states court of Appeals state, “this case began when kk…used her home computer to create a discussion group on myspace.com…”. It basically is being held at home and does not disrupt the learning environment. So the school should really not be a part of cases like this.

Limiting a students should not be something a school should have authority over.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should schools limit your online speech by Katie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Katelynn 2 months ago

Katie: I think you make some great points in this essay. My only comment is to expand your ideas and be more detailed. Also, I would love to read the sources you used in your writing. I’m looking forward to reading more of your writing!

2. Sera 2 months ago

This is an interesting read. Here is a link to an article explaining the rights of students in California regarding their cell phones in school that might be interesting. https://www.aclunc.org/our-work/know-your-rights/student-cell-phone-privacy

3. Vanessa 2 months ago

Dear Katie:
    I am intrigued by your post, “Should schools limit your online speech?”, because I also agree with you that schools should not be allowed to limit your online speech because it does not take place on school boundaries. When consequences are given to students due to events taken place online they are beyond their limits of controlling the situation. This results in an invasion of the students privacy and their first amendment.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Lastly the school should not limit the online speech of a student because the speech does not disrupt the school environment” because it is true it does not interfere with any learning. When measures are being taken than that creates an interruption.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because we have some of the same opinions. I also liked how you used quotes to support your reasonings.
    Vanessa

4. Ashley 2 months ago

Dear Katie: I agree with your stand on why schools should not be allowed to limit students online speech. One thing I did notice though was you had good reasons but not strong enough evidence. Your writing was good and you were clear with your stand. Hope you write again soon sis! Can’t wait to read your next writing.
    Your Sis Garza

5. Nathaniel 2 months ago

Dear Katie:
    I am intrigued by your post, “Should schools limit your online speech,” because I also agree with you that students online speech should not be limited. Another reason is because you target how it also “depends depends on the time and place it is happening”. I agree because if it doesn’t happen in on school grounds, what right do they have to deny students of their first amendment right. One sentence you wrote that stands out to be is “school should not limit the online speech of a student because the speech does not disrupt the school environment”. I would like to respectfully disagree to agree (if that makes sense). I disagree with the idea that it does not cause a distraction in class because there are many scenarios such as gossip(specifically about someone who got bullied) that could disrupt the learning environment. However, if you meant to say that it was not a distraction in the classroom because it is no different from any other distractions that normally occur, then I would completely agree with you. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because our ideas are very similar and your writing is pretty interesting. I also look forward to seeing what you write next because you clearly establish your position and your believes in your writing.
    -Nathaniel R.

• Nathaniel 2 months ago

*There was only supposed to be one “depends” in the second sentence.

• Nathaniel 2 months ago

*I also meant “me” instead of “be” in sentence 4.

6. Jackie 2 months ago

Dear Katie:
    I am very impressed by your post, ” Should schools limit your online speech”, Because you do prove a big point of view on why schools shouldnt limit there speech. On sentence that stood out to me was, ” Another reason why schools should not have authority to limit what you say online because it depends on the time and place it is happening”. The reason why is because the students and everyone else has the right to say, post anything they want no matter where they are.Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoyed what you wrote about this topic and made me be very interested in what you had to say/ your opinion.
    Love, Jackie

7. Jesus 2 months ago

Dear Katie,

I am showing the same amount of emotion with your response on students with limited speech because I agree with your statement. Your statements are very bold and prominent.

One sentence that stands out for is, ” Another reason why schools should not have authority to limit what you say online because it depends on the time and place it is happening”. I think this is one of the best answers because you have to be aware of the situation first.

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoyed what you wrote about this topic and made me be very interested in what you had to say.

Jesus

8. Lourdes 2 months ago

Dear Katie:
    I am impressed by your post, “Should schools limit your online speech,” because this has happened in several school were they limit students’ online speech and see them get suspended or expelled.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Lately the school should not limit the online speech of a student because the speech does not disrupt the school’s environment. It happens at home with a home computer. I think this is agreeable because their are violating our first amendment right.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this is an agreeable topic about schools’ violating our first amendment right. As well as wanting to limit our online speech.
    Lourdes