There have been countless incidents of cyberbullying that have occurred over a course of many years. Now we face the question “Should schools be allowed to limit students’ online speech?” I believe schools should be allowed to limit students’ online speech, because it causes disruption in school and impacts the way a teacher manages a classroom, cyberbullying violates our civil rights, and the reality is that this does cause people to commit suicide.

Cyberbullying leads to disruption in a classroom environment and it impacts the way a teacher manages their classroom. In 1968, there was Tinker V. De Moines which was a case where a school did not allow two students to wear armbands protesting the Vietnam War. In Tinker V. De Moines the Supreme Court decided that this wasn’t right thus establishing students’ First Amendment rights in U.S. public schools. J.S.v. Blue Mountain School District is a case where a student created a profile ridiculing her middle school principal so the school punished J.S. with a ten days’ out-of-school suspension. A middle school math teacher at the school experienced disruption in his classroom when a few students were discussing the profile, and he had to tell the students to stop talking but they were disobedient and did not. He had to tell his students to stop talking about various topics about once a week, and it really disrupts his classroom and the way he teaches because he is not being able to properly do so. This is some of the ways that disruption impacts a classroom environment and this is why schools should be allowed to limit students’ speech.

Students’ speech should be limited because cyberbullying is a violation of our civil rights. In a letter written to school administrators, the US Department of Education Office for Civil Rights asserted that “Harrassment creates a hostile environment when the conduct is sufficiently severe, pervasive, or persistent so as to interfere with or limit a student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or opportunities offered by a school.” This is a violation of our civil rights because physical and mental harassment can be harmful, threatening, or humiliating. This supports that schools should be able to limit students’ speech, because it is a school’s responsibility to address harassment incidents about which it knows or should know about.

Another sad reality of cyberbullying is suicide. There have been far too many suicides caused by cyberbullying. So why should schools not be allowed to limit students’ speech in order to prevent these instances? On June 14, 2017 12 year old Mallory committed suicide after being cyberbullied by her classmates. The school neglected aiding her due to the fact that they don’t have the sort of power to stop the students’ freedom of speech. We need to stop further instances such as these from occurring, and this is why we need to limit students’ freedom of speech. If schools are not allowed to limit students’ freedom of speech then they are left powerless when it comes to situations like these because they can’t do any legal actions.

In conclusion,  schools should be allowed to limit students’ online speech, because it causes disruption in school and impacts the way a teacher manages a classroom, cyberbullying violates our civil rights, and the reality is that this does cause people to commit suicide.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Schools Be Allowed to Limit Students’ Online Speech? by Luis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ruby 6 months ago

Luis,

You have constructed a very good argument on why schools should limit online speech. However the evidence you cited contradicts your stance on the issue. You cited the Tinker V. Des Moines case in which the students won, “school officials could not censor student speech unless it disrupted the educational process. Because wearing a black armband was not disruptive, the court held that the First Amendment protected the right of students to wear them.” I think that if you were to use this piece of evidence you might want to expand on how it helps support your claim. Because this currently goes against what you are saying.

I agree with the other comment on this post with the part that says, “If schools are not allowed to limit students’ freedom of speech then they are left powerless when it comes to situations like these…” I think you need to define how much the school should be able to limit students speech because how much is too much.

Overall I think that your writing put across a clear message just focus on the details in order to really solidify your argument.

2. Arelly Calderon 6 months ago

Dear Luis,

I am very pleased, about your post, “Should Schools Be Allowed to Limit Students’ Online Speech” because you express your thoughts clearly and thoroughly. The information you provided is easy to understand and it supports your claim efficiently.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “If schools are not allowed to limit students’ freedom of speech then they are left powerless when it comes to situations like these because they can’t do any legal actions” I think this is significant because its shows that schools should hold some form of power of the actions of the students attending their schools. Also, by limiting their speech, suicide can be prevented.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like your point of view on this topic. You also seem to be very open minded and understand how to elaborate on such topics.

-Arelly Calderon

Luis 6 months ago

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave me a response. I am appreciative of it! Thank you for your feedback it is a motivation to me to write more well done posts for other readers just as great as you to read my posts!