Bullying has been around for a long time (Laura W. Murphy, Michael W. Macleod-Bell). So why does it seem that it has become a recent problem in today’s society? come a recent problem in today’s society? The improvement and increased usage of technology has seem to create a bigger problem. It seems that people use technology to bully others more because it’s easier and they don’t have to physically face that person. It is true that the First Amendment grants Americans the freedom of speech, but people need to recognize that with each freedom, there needs to be some sacrifices and restrictions in order to protect the benefits of that freedom. The arising generation that has grown up with these new innovations in technology need to be aware of the previous statement. Perhaps the rising use of social media explains why more girls bully others than boys do (Sameer Hinduja, Justin Patchin).Schools should be allowed to limit students online speech because the bullying rate can increase even more than what it has already over gone with the introduction of social media and internet.  

Sameer HInduja and Justin Patchin from the Cyberbullying research center report a bar graph that reports CyberBullying by gender informing us about the affected and unaffected by Cyberbullying. They state “I have been Cyberbullied-lifetime ”(Hinduja, Patchin). The bars in this section are both high for both gender groups; higher female bar graph versus male bar graph however this is a lifetime meaning that they are is still Bullying happening around for a long time (Hinduja, Patchin). So why are people still being affected either by a dramatizing moment or they still are being bullied at their current age.The rates of people who have cyberbullied others is immensely high “17.5 Male, 21.3 Female”(Hinduja, Patchin).This informs us that males just as much as females bully others and if there is a lot of bullies that means there’s a lot of bullying happening. However besides the research you also should know the means of the bully and why they might post harmful post.

Another reason why schools should  limit students online speech is because it is to easy to find the person committed the bullying through the internet. For example the Association of Teachers and Lectures and Teacher Support Network states “Who was the perpetrator* of this cyberbullying?”( Association of Teachers and Lectures and Teacher Support Network). This tells us you can find the perpetrator from where the post started because the internet has means of tracking. The article gives you the perpetrator  “teacher,pupil, manager, colleague,pupil’s parent/carer”( Association of Teachers and Lectures and Teacher Support Network).This helps us understand not only the group they fall under but the age roughly they are currently in. They also talk about how “reduced your confidence and self esteem-38.6”(Association of Teachers and Lectures and Teacher Support Network) this isn’t adequate because everyone is bullied in some shape or form but to an extent. This document helps promote that students online speech should be limited but there is still one more supporting document.

Finally, the last reason why schools should limit students online speech is because even though it happens online it will eventually take place in a school setting. Jimmy Margulies document helps better understand school setting. For example  margulies states “teacher-privacy and dignity”(Margulies). This tells us that Teachers privacy is being taken from them by students which is bullying when a student comments about a teacher life through social media.They also state “tell me,teacher , what’d they steal this time … credit cards… bank accounts…Social Security members?-principal”(Margulies). This tells us that with the introduction of technology there’s a new threat to everyone not just the threats the principal stated they face privacy threat such as teachers accounts of social media being viewed and more. The illustration by Margulies also shows the principal asking the same old question and the teacher looks as if he is stating what has been done and is kneeling in which implies he is worried ( Margulies).

In conclusion, schools should  be allowed to limit students online speech because the bullying rate can increase even more than what it has already over gone with the introduction of social media and internet.  

1. Clara 2 years ago

Hi Martin, I enjoyed your fresh perspective on the extent to which teachers should monitor online activity. While most students would advocate for privacy, you made some great points on why schools should step in. In the end of the second paragraph you said, “However besides the research you also should know the means of the bully and why they might post harmful post.” I was really interested in your answer to why the bully may post harmful words or images but you never followed up with this statement. To improve your post, add some answers to this proposed questions. Check out this article, it may help, http://endcyberbullying.net/why-do-people-cyberbully/. Great points, Martin!