Students online speech should not be limited because freedom of speech is a precious right, cyberbullying is not any more disruptive than other issues/occurrences, and schools should not interfere when it does not happen on campus.

The first thing that we will be discussing is freedom of speech is a precious right. In a statement submitted to the Congressional Subcommittee Hearing on Cyberbullying, the ACLU wrote “ We believe that any restriction specifically aimed limiting at the speech rights of people under age 18 in the new electronic forum is a step in the wrong direction and not in keeping with the ideals of our constitutional framework.” The ACLU is saying that limiting minors in free speech is not the right way to go since it does not follow the ideals of the constitution.

The next thing we will be looking at is cyberbullying is not any more disruptive than other issues/occurrences. Cyberbullying does not cause a disruption at school anything can be “disruptive” for example getting up when the teacher is talking to sharpen a pencil is disruptive. In the J.S v. Blue Mountain School District 2011 it was stated that “Randy Nunemacher, a Middle School math teacher, experienced a disruption in his class when six or seven students were talking and discussing the profile; Nunemacher had to tell the students to stop talking three times.” Disruptions in the class can be anything such as the phone ringing or a student exiting the classroom.

The last thing we will be looking at is schools should not interfere when it does not happen on campus. A school should not interfere with what is happening outside of campus because they are not the children’s parents and the kids should be able to speak about their opinions even if they are rude. In the K.K v. Berkeley County Schools 2011 states “K.K. contends first that the school administrators violated her free speech rights under the First Amendment by punishing her for speech that occurred outside the school.” K.K was violated of her free speech because she decided to make some mean comments out of school. She felt that school had no power to discipline her since it was not on school hours.

Students online speech should not be limited because freedom of speech is a precious right is our country and everyone should be able to practice this right even if it may hurt someone else’s feelings.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Schools Be Allowed to Limit Students’ Online Speech? by Rigoberto is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Audrey 7 months ago

Rigoberto, I think that the premise of your argument is very interesting and you explained your points very well. I thought it was a good supporting point when you brought up a quote about minors rights on the internet from the ACLU. Whether minors should have the same extent of freedom of speech as adults is something I’ve often wondered myself. I personally think that in cases of cyberbullying the school should be able to step in to protect its students. However, I also think you make a good point that schools should not regulate what happens outside of school. I found an article about a lawsuit which is very relevant to your argument and have provided a link(https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124076038) . I hope that you might find this useful and I look forward to reading more of your submissions in the future.

2. Jairo 7 months ago

Dear Rigoberto:

I agree with your post “Should Schools Be Allowed to Limit Students’ Online Speech?” because I think you prove your point by mentioning that freedom of speech is really precious. It is something we are born with and also something that can not be taken away not even in places such as school. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is ” students should be able to speak about their opinions even if they are rude.” I think this supports your point about not limiting freedom of speech because it is meaning of having this freedom. I also see that it supports the statement before of schools not having the right to interfere with problems outside of school. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you support your claim. Not only do you support your claims, but you also bring up great points as to why they should not limit freedom of speech. I will be checking up again in future points because it is interesting how incorporate detailed evidence in your writings.

Jairo Alvarado