Jennifer Duran-Salcedo

Humanities 9th

Ms. Portugal

12-21-18

THE DEPORTATION ISSUE

With Trump as our President many U.S. citizens might be being brainwashed about Deportation. For example one might now think that deportation is just a way to “keep citizens of the United States safe.” But in reality all it’s doing is making racist assumptions about people of color and separating families.

Deportation is problematic because of race assumptions. In an interview with Isabel Bedoya a 23 year old immigrant from Embocado Colombia, she stated that “With immigration they dead ass only go for Hispanic people you rarely see another race being pulled over by immigration”(Bedoya). This proves that immigration is setting racial assumptions by only pulling over Hispanic people to ask for their papers. We don’t know what country people originally come from but the fact that immigration targets Hispanic people is making assumptions about their race but also about their citizenship.

Roxana Quintero a Mexican American woman who is also a social worker in the UCSF school of Law Immigration/Deportation defence clinic confirmed this feeling about racial assumption. She is in charge of connecting immigrant families to therapies and overall supplying the needs of the families so that they are ready to go to court. She states, “I would like to change the fact that people are getting criminalized for wanting a better life”(Quintero). This proves that  people who work for deportation are racially making assumptions about people of color and making them feel like criminals for trying to have a better life.

Another reason proving that Deportation is problematic is because of the separation of families. In an Article called Deportation and Family Separation Impact Entire Communities by Jennifer McNulty, a social studies reporter for UC Santa Cruz, she talked about the amount of children who are living without a parent in the United States and stated that “5.9 million children have at least one caregiver who lacks authorization to live in the country”(McNulty). This is obviously an issue because children who need their parents don’t have the privilege of having them and the parents don’t understand the opportunity to watch their to watch their own children grow up. The separation of families has to stop because innocent people who came to this country shouldn’t be torn apart for trying to give their children a better future.

Additionally, not only are parents being taken through deportation, but children also being separated. In the article called , Separated parents given option for voluntary deportation amid child reunification by Tal Kopan, Eli Watkins and Sonia Moghe they talk about how there are still over 1,000 children in custody that are not reunited with their parents and are currently on their own. It states, “The Trump administration put out the release on Saturday night about reunification following the family separations resulting from the “zero-tolerance” policy amid an outcry about the separations and questions about reunification. The release said the Department of Health and Human Services still had 2,053 children in custody not reunited with parents, and the administration plan said reunifications would only take place once the parents’ deportation proceedings were finished.”(Kopan, Watkins and Moghe) This quote is saying that there are still over 2,000 immigrant children who are currently alone and do not have their parents. The only reason that these children will ever get to see their parents again is when their parents deportation proceedings were finished. This is a very traumatic experience for both the parents and the children. The children basically have to get raised alone and the parents have to have the fear that if the procedure never finishes then they will never be able to see their own children.

In conclusion Deportation separates families and makes racist assumptions about people of color. We need our government  to stop criminalizing people of color and to start using their time to find people who could actually be harmful in our communities. Most people who enter this country are only here to supply for their families and are trying to live a better life. Deportation officers need to use their time to find people who are harmful and not just tear apart the families that are only here for a better life.

Work cited

Quintero, Roxana. 12 Dec. 2018.

The interview is about deportation and the stereotypes that people make about hispanic people and why they are deported. This interview is credible because the woman that I interviewed is a social worker for immigrant families and she supplies all the needs that are asked from so that immigrants are prepared for court.

Bedoya, Isabel. 12 Dec. 2018.

The interview is about the assumptions and stereotypes that people especially deportation officers make when asking people for their papers because they usually target Hispanic people. This is a trustworthy interview because the woman interviewed is an immigrant woman from Colombia and she knows the struggle of being stereotypes especially by being a immigrant woman.

Kopan, Tal, et al. “Separated Parents given Option for Voluntary Deportation amid Child Reunification.” CNN, Cable News Network, 25 June 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/06/24/politics/family-reunification-deportation-orders/index.html.

This article talks about children being separated from their families and how we need to reunite these families.

McNulty, Jennifer. “Deportation and Family Separation Impact Entire Communities, Researchers Say.” UC Santa Cruz News, 1 Aug. 2018, news.ucsc.edu/2018/08/langhout-immigration.html.

This article is about the separation of families and how not only does separation and deportation affects families but it affects many others as well.

859

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Deportation Issue by Jennifer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Carla 2 months ago

Dear Jennifer,
    I am very interested in your post “The Deportation Issue” because you are talking about a very important topic that many families have to go through which is deportation. Deportation is a very serious issue because many families separate when someone in their family gets deported. Many kids struggle and go through a lot when their parents are getting deported because they get separated from their parents. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “Another reason proving that Deportation is problematic is because of the separation of families”. I think this is very strong because it actually happens, kids actually get separated from their family and this can be a very effective issue. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because, topics like this really influence many families to move forward and enjoy what they have. These types of topics touch many people because deportation is a really big issue that is going on a lot. You touch on really important topics because they are eye opening to many families that have gone through that issue.

2. Lourdes 2 months ago

Dear Jennifer Duran- Salcedo:
    I am admired with your post, “The Deportation Issue,” because NOT many people see the fact that by “keep citizens of the United States safe” is causing racist assumptions leading them to have second thoughts about these people being bad. As well as having to leave their kids behind due to “OUR” president.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is: “I would like to change the fact that people are getting criminalized for wanting a better life” I think this is agreeable because many immigrants came to the U.S. to give the kids a people life compared to the life their parents had in Mexico.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this is a current event that is happening to many people, and I believe that there should be someone that should speak for others just like your doing now.

Lourdes Jaimes

3. Katie 2 months ago

Dear Jennifer Duran-Salcedo:
    I am surprised by, your post, “The Deportation issue” because I really did not know how bad this deportation thing was getting to. Separating family who are innocent and only get left with one parent and maybe even with no parents.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “ For example one might now think that deportation is just a way to “keep citizens of the United States safe.” I think this is true for the reason that they are just judging the people based off their race and do not take their time to investigate their background.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because what you stated on your post is all true because it is not the write thing to get separated from your kids and not watch them grow up. Every parent has a goal and it is to watch their child grow up to the person you teach them to be and want to see them be. That can not happen when the government is taking families apart like that

Katie Ramirez

4. Alyssa 2 months ago

Dear Jennifer:
    I am delighted to see your article about,“ The Deportation Issue,” because I agree with what you are saying here by proving a point about the president about his racial profiling people of color. As well as how society is viewing us Mexicans now a days and making assumptions about the people of color without even getting to know them. People are all people, they need to be treated just as fairly as any other person here in the United States. They came to America to have a better life, not to be degraded. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “We need our government to stop criminalizing people of color and to start using their time to find people who could actually be harmful in our communities.” I think this is very true because people don’t see what they are actually doing because people came to supply for their family, not to be profiled for their color, and/ or to separated from their families.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you showed the real truth about what really happens when deportation happens. You also give good facts about them
    Alyssa Gutierrez

5. Erica 2 months ago

Dear, Jennifer:
    I am very interested by your post “ The Deportation Issue” because you talk about how people are just getting deported because of their color. Theses people are not getting deported because of something they did, but because they are people of color. Which is not right. I like that you explain that the reason people come into the United states is so that their children have a better future. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is, “We need our government to stop criminalizing people of color and to start using their time to find people who could actually be harmful in our communities. Most people who enter this country are only here to supply for their families and are trying to live a better life.” I think this is interesting because many people know that you should not criminalize people of color if they didnt do anything bad, but the government doesn’t seem to listen or do anything about it. Thanks for your writings. I look forward to seeing what you write next because, you have good ideas to justify your arguments. Also you have sources to back up what you are saying which makes you credible.

Erica

6. Elizabeth 2 months ago

Dear Jennifer,
    I am appalled by your post The Deportation issue because, it is really starting to open my eyes on the deportation issue we are facing. People often hear about it and live in fear of being deported but others simply brush it off since it is no that their issue, and their dismay to it is what causes their ignorance to this issue. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “We need our government to stop criminalizing people of color and to start using their time to find people who could actually be harmful in our communities” I think this is very motivating because our government needs to focus on going after people who are causing danger to our country rather than people who came to work hard and provide for their family. There have also been instances where people who are citizens cause severe damage to their community only get some time in jail then get out on probation, that is infuriating because it is unjust treatment to those who get deported for trying to provide a better life for their family. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because we seem to share similar ideas when it come to issues regarding deportation so maybe we’ll share similar thought on other issues.

Elizabeth

7. Yuliana 2 months ago

Dear Jeniffer,
    I agree with your post “The deportation issue,” because immigration seems to be not doing its job how its supposed to. I mean when they deport someone they should really go towards those that have a bad record for example people that smuggle drugs, gang related, raped, or abused there partner.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “This proves that people who work for deportation are racially making assumptions about people of color and making them feel like criminals for trying to have a better life.” I think this is a little true because when you hear the news about someone you don’t hear if there criminals or they had an order of deportation.
    Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this topic was really interesting about your opinion. This was a really strong opinion but people do not see the difference between deportation and the reason.

Yuliana

8. Lizbeth 2 months ago

Dear, Jennifer:
    I am for with your post “The Deportation Issue” because you cover things that are happening in the world but no one pays attention to them at all. You also state how people are being brainwashed. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is,”In conclusion Deportation separates families and makes racist assumptions about people of color” I think this is very true because the people see this then start assuming things about people of color, they start wanting to label and separate these immigrants.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you touch on really important topics that are eye openers.
    – Lizbeth Alvarado

9. Maria 2 months ago

Dear Jennifer,
    I totally agree with your idea when or yuor text it says “With immigration they dead ass only go for Hispanic people you rarely see another race being pulled over by immigration”(Bedoya). How the fact that they come to the united states to have a future and just that they die or make then not feel safe that us latinos or just people who come to the united states without documents here just to have a better future with our families.

10. Kanika 2 months ago

Dear jennifer

This is Kanika one sentence that you wrote that stood out with me was when you stated “This proves that  people who work for deportation are racially making assumptions about people of color and making them feel like criminals for trying to have a better life.” I totally agree because a high population of people in the U.S say that America is a place to make your dreams come ture and that only thing immigrants want to do is live comfortable, safe, and have their kids grow up and  become something in life. So for the government to try to the immigrants deported I feel that it unfair and it's only because there people of color, also because they think that immigrants are not on their level like there better than immigrants. I really appreciate that you took your time out to express yourself to the world because a lot of people can't share how they feel because they’re scared of what the world would say but not you.

11. kanika/Peaches 2 months ago

Dear jennifer

This is Kanika one sentence that you wrote that stood out with me was when you stated “This proves that people who work for deportation are racially making assumptions about people of color and making them feel like criminals for trying to have a better life.” I totally agree because a high population of people in the U.S say that America is a place to make your dreams come ture and that only thing immigrants want to do is live comfortable, safe, and have their kids grow up and become something in life. So for the government to try to the immigrants deported I feel that it unfair and it's only because there people of color, also because they think that immigrants are not on their level like there better than immigrants. I really appreciate that you took your time out to express yourself to the world because a lot of people can't share how they feel because they’re scared of what the world would say but not you.