Through reading one of George Orwell’s classic and most well known pieces of literature, Orwell’s prediction relating to technology plays a similar and as important role not only in the book itself, but to our personal lives, where day to day we are surrounded by technology and being connected to the web. Orwell forms an idea and understanding that technology causes an infringement of an individuals privacy, where almost every move is monitored by some device system. This works similar to a tracking system. Nothing goes unseen, and in most cases technology seems to be what ends up hooking us to our social medias losing a true sense and experience of the world surrounding us.Though his ideas were quite spot on with what is happening around us today, I definitely believe there was no realization to what extreme level and extent it is at this current time. Forms of technology such as Siri or even Amazon’s Alexa operate with the human feature to talk and socialize such as if you are carrying a conversation with another human being. Conversations regarding asking questions, and finding day today news such as the temperature outside can be carried with a touch of a button. But comes at a tole creating a history where previous things you have searched remain visible to look back to. Orwell’s characters struggle with finding and settling to a place where there is not a way to be traced or tracked down. There is no true form of being alone. Everything is monitored. For example even going outside in public there are security cameras everywhere, for the sake of making sure individuals are being safe and protected. Though we are never truly alone, it causes a disconnect from the world around us, specially our generation today. Phones providing a social platform and other forms of “escapes” causes children to drift away from social skills, experiencing things in the moment as they take place, as well as responsibilities of day to day life, many losing track of school and falling behind. It has acted almost as an addiction where it is uncurbable for it surrounds us in every aspect and in most cases is run by or even controlled by technology.
Chapter five the quote, “It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself – anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called.” justifies the idea behind nothing goes unnoticed. There is no true form of being alone. Everything surrounding you is being tracked, anything and everything will and can be held against you.
Studies have shown and stated that too much screen time not only ruins our vision but do to the radiation it kills our brain cells making us lose memory, not being able to remember as well as before. The Next Web had made reports years ago claiming that technology holds us back physically, making us lazier. “From the comfort of my own apartment, while watching the fight on Pay Per View, I can pause mid-match to double check that my favorite songs on iTunes have been downloaded or my playlists on Spotify synced to my smartphone. I switch inputs on my television to my PS3 which has a Blu-Ray DVD of Avatar in to watch one of my favorite clips. I then slip on my XBOX 360 headset to flip inputs again and finish up party chatting with my friends list, as they’ve been waiting for me to play a session of Call of Duty with them. After a quick round, I flip back to Pay Per View, resume the fight, and tweet out what’s happening on screen like a sports announcer, amusing myself with the flood of replies.” Changing back and forth from different social platforms has been easier only adding to humans to drift further away from interacting with one another but also productivity and movement, for anything can be accessed by a touch of a button. This causes more individuals to stay in the comfort of their homes than to venture outside.
Not only does this cause us become less productive prohibiting innovation and creation, but according to The Vision Council, “Many individuals suffer from physical eye discomfort after screen use for longer than two hours at a time.” Again with the issue that our world is being controlled by technology many work on computers and other forms of technology, so many have no choice of completing their work any other way. But taking a couple second breaks every so often may help reduce headaches, blurry vision, or straining of the eyes. For the most part it is something that we don’t have much control over since the world is being taken over by technology. Though some worry that is not only our eyes that are at risk for being damaged but other parts of the body including our necks, head, and shoulders do to the way that we are positioned while we are using technology. Many tend to slouch and tend to look down to the screen, over time resulting in forfeiting the natural curve of your neck.
The misuse of technology is a risky and dangerous kind of exposure into the world that may cause permanent damage regarding your reputation as well as possible theft of personal information and bank account information through purchases made on shady websites, or even viruses and hackers to come about. 30 percent of teenagers claim to be victimized through the use of social media on social platforms such as Instagram do not recognizing “fake news”. Allowing individuals to be able to portray themselves as anyone they choose and comment freely with the ease of just a few clicks allows social issues to arise, exposing many to issues such as cyberbullying and different forms of cybercrime. Sex crimes also now partake onto social media do to an increase of more individuals found using social media more and more. Being catfished and tricked is more and more likely to occur mistaking individuals to be apart of something that they would want no business with if they were given the opportunity to see what it truly was from the beginning. Public social pages also allow for personal information to be open to the public depending on how much information you expose about yourself. Information regarding where you live and your age may cause for stolen identities or even stalkers. Once something is put on the internet the chances of it never being traced again is slim to none, so it is important what you allow to be shared about yourself by others or by yourself is not specific enough where you may be getting into trouble.

Though technology is something that will never be fixed because the world runs on it, there are few ways where we are able to limit the amount of technology we use. These limitations include healthy habits where we are able to interact with one another using social skills that help create innovation and creation. Using technology shouldn’t always have a negative impact, it opens many doors to opportunity as well as using certain apps that help track your eating. Everything must  be done in moderation, technology opens so many doors regarding any aspect of life. Through Earth Link we discover that not all technology has a negative affect, we are able to use certain apps which help physically represent goals and provide certain information to keep us moving to a positive direction to make a change.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How Does Tecnology Affect Our Day To Day Life ? by Emmanuela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Armando 2 months ago

Dear George,
    I am emotion with your post “How does Technology affect our days ,” because people really like to use technology and the government is watching at everything we the people like doing on our phones.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ It has acted almost as an addiction where it is incurable for it surrounds us in every aspect and in most cases is run by or even controlled by technology.I think this is adjective because people like using their phones and they are always being watched.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because today you wrote about technology and maybe next you will maybe write about how technology can change the world.
    Armando Mateos

2. Teresa 2 months ago

Dear Emmanuela:

I was very intrigued by your post, “How Does Technology Affect Our Day To Day Life?”, because you thoroughly explain your opinion. You also show evidence to support your claims. I was easily persuaded into believing what your opinion was and support it as well.
    One sentence you wrote that stood out to me “Orwell’s characters struggle with finding and settling to a place where there is not a way to be traced or tracked down.” I think this is cool because Orwell was actually trying to shy away from protection instead of accepting the fact of being watched 24/7.
    Thanks for your writing! I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your way of speaking was very mature and I never stopped reading once. Also, if you were to write on a different subject, I would probably be just as intrigued with it as well! Please continue to write more posts about different subjects, I look forward to it.

Teresa.