More than 15 million children witness domestic violence each year in the United States; (Journal of Family Psychology)”. As Journal of Family Psychology stated, 15 million children in the United States have witnessed violence, this is showing arguments within the family that leads to violence. Family violence affects youth emotionally and physically and counseling can be one of the best ways to support youth.

Firstly, violence can affect a young person emotionally, which can impact their concentration in school. In an interview with an Oakland mother who was affected by violence she said, “[her son and daughter] got really affected by the situation that was going on at home. It affects them emotionally and physically and they were not able to concentrate at all in school. I had to handle a lot, and all of us would cry” (Corona). Because of this many children would feel that the fights were their own fault. This shows that violence affects youth emotionally because her children were not able to focus in school.The emotional damage that the students carry distracts them from being able to focus  well in their classes.

In the article “women and children’s domestic violence” by Western Australian edition, they said “Family and domestic violence also has a major impact on the health and well-being of children. Recent meta-analyses have shown that children exposed to family and domestic violence exhibit significantly more problems than children not exposed (Edleson, 2011).” This article explains that when there is an issue happening in the home or in their family then it affects the children involved. When something terrible happens at home the children start to think that they are at fault and start to hurt themselves. This eventually will hurt their personal life and their performance at school. If things were stable in their home the children will feel better and they would be able to concentrate in school because they are not thinking about all of the problems that are going on . That is why what goes on in the house of a child is so important.

The program “Young Minds,” which helps the mental health of students through counseling, said in their website that “many young people are struggling with how they feel. They are having problems with friends, family or school, they are anxious, depressed, angry or scared and need to talk to someone, but find it difficult to talk to people they know and that counselling and other advice services can help them talk things through, support them without making them feel judged, and in confidence (unless they disclose that their personal safety is at risk.Youth that are dealing with depressing or feeling any type of way could have counselling and have the support that they need.“ This explains that counselling could help the  youth with their problems so they won’t be feeling really down or try to harm them self. This is done by helping youth express what they feel and not keeping everything inside them because the more they keep everything inside it hurts the more.

Therefore, family violence can be very stressful and harmful for children. It can lead to depression and a low performance at school that is why counselling can help give them a chance to talk out what they are going through so that they won’t go through all of this alone and hurt them self more keeping everything inside.

Work Cited

Corona, Rosa. “Interview with Rosa Corona.” 11 Dec. 2018.

I interview Rosa Corona because she is a mother who have been through family violence. We discussed if she thinks that family violence affects youth and what are things that could help youth .

“Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse Statistics.” Center for Family Justice, centerforfamilyjustice.org/community-education/statistics/.

I used this sorce because it was going to help my thises and will connected to my blog this sorce is cretable because it has ways to contact them and they want people to do better. its about Statistics underscore the prevalence of violence in our communities. It is urgent that we stand up against domestic violence, sexual violence, human trafficking and child abuse:

CC BY-SA 4.0 Family Violence Affects Youth by America is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.