Why do we rape?

In 2016 there were been 260 rapes reported that were unfounded of men and women who have been raped in Oakland. Also there was 11.2% causes of rape  in 2016 that have not been addressed or have been just pushed to the side because ¨it’s not as important¨ to our government and system. For those who are not as sure what rape is, it’s when men or women force someone to have sex without their permission. This blog is being written for two reason, one to empower women and for men to listen and make change.

Empowering Women

Firstly to empower women, women need to remember not to doubt themselves when it comes to rape and men need to recognize how they are impacting women and making them doubt themselves. An anonymous interviewee from Oakland who is female that was raped about 7 years ago stated, “Ever since it happen I always said ‘it was my fault’ ‘what if I wasn’t there’ ‘why did this happen to me’. I shouldn’t have done that because it put me in bad mood like i was rude as hell to people I loved and care about´(Anonymous Interviewer). This quote is showing how women doubt themselves and say that being raped is their fault. An important part of this statement is  ¨what if I wasn’t there¨, that sticks out because a person shouldn’t have to think “if I go to this place will I get raped.” Men should really pay attention to this because while a person is out there stereotyping women because they have “power”.

Secondly, women need to remember to speak out about their stories because so many are not addressed. When they speak out about their stories it would help others speak out about theirs and feel empowered. It might be scary at first but writing it out can be a healing process. Additionally, In the article ‘I was raped as a student – and I’m not the only one’ talks about how Hannah Price was raped in college but never talked about it until  she saw a post on social media which was three years later. Price confesses, ¨As a student journalist, I searched for a long time for a way to bring this issue of sexual assault and harassment on campus into the spotlight but, like me, no-one was comfortable enough to speak out publicly.After reading an article about two incredibly brave rape survivors in India who maintained their anonymity by using social media…¨ (Price). This quote is showing how that seeing other stories about being raped can encourage to speak out about your story. To show other people that they are not the only one who has been through this situation and can have other people to relate to.Women shouldn’t have to feel like they are alone is this because they aren’t, instead they should use their experiences to heal scars and empower themselves and other women .

Listen Up Men to Make Change

To my men out there this is where it is really  time to pay attention. to make a change. Beverly Velasco who is an Alternative in Actions employee and has been working for Life Academy after school for three years in Oakland   stated, “If I was raped I would feel like crap and ask why did this happen to me and would want to give revenge because if someone does something to me I would like them to feel my pain or make a movement” (Velasco). This shows how someone who has not been raped but are thinking about the chances of it happening and how it would impact them. This is important for people to notice and make a change because if this is not  stopped now rapes will continue and more people will feel how Beverly Velasco would feel if she was raped. Additionally, In a article titled, “Rape, the Most Intimate of Crimes” by Mary Dickson in 1996, though 22 years ago is relevant to rapes currently, Dickson speaks out, “Most women live in fear of incidents like this. We feel at risk because we are. We know the statistics. By some estimates one out of four women will be the victim of sexual assault in her lifetime”(Dickson). This shows how when a woman is raped the man leaves a big impact on the rest of their life but if rapes stop  people’s lives would include less trauma.This is why men should start to make a change because of the stories they hear from women who have been impacted and who hasn’t.

In conclusion, Rape is not talked about and  recognized as much as it should be and just pushed away as if it’s not important. This stigma is hurtful for everyone and because of it the problem does not go away. This blog is being written for two reason, one to empower women and for men to listen and make change.

Work Cited

Anonymous. “Interview on Rape.” 10 Dec. 2018. This person chose to be anonymous because of their experience they did not want others to ask questions and feel overwhelmed. This is credible source because they have an been impacted by this experience and can give advice on how to deal with going through this.

Dickson, Mary. “Rape, the Most Intimate of Crimes.” PBS, Public Broadcasting Service, 1996, www.pbs.org/kued/nosafeplace/articles/rapefeat.html. Even though it was published in 1996, its still a credible source because Mary Dickson is be braving and talking out about her experience and how it impacted her. Its also credible because what happened to her 23 years ago its still happening in the future.

Price, Hannah. “’I Was Raped as a Student – and I’m Not the Only One’.” BBC News, BBC, 6 Mar. 2018, www.bbc.com/news/stories-43258170. This is a credible source because Hannah spoke out about her story from hearing someone else story after some years after her being raped. She also helped other speak out anonymously about their stories.

Velasco, Beverly. “Interview On Rape.” 13 Dec. 2018. This interview was about rape. This person is a credible source because she knows someone who has had this experience and had knowledge on how people who have been through this.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why by Kayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tania 16 hours ago

Dear Kayla, I am really empowered by your poem because you have really clear statements about how men should start realizing their actions and how females should love themselves although they were scarred and how they should open up about it because they are not alone, if anything people would support them. I think overall you chose a good topic one that is important to you, and you are completely right people don’t talk about rape nowadays like it isn’t an important topic. I’m glad you brought this specific topic up because you want to bring awareness to this issue and writing about it will get people to hear your voice and your story. Keep up the good work, you have a powerful mind.

2. Ashley 6 days ago

Dear Kayla,

I am surprise and sad about your blog “Why”, because this blog can be touching for women that got raped and they maintain their silents. One sentence that stood out for me was, “Secondly, women need to remember to speak out about their stories because so many are not addressed. When they speak out about their stories it would help others speak out about theirs and feel empowered”. This sentence stood out to me because women that got raped don’t need to hide their stories. They need to share out with other people so they can feel empowered and motivated. I do agree with you because there is rape in Oakland happening and you addressing this problem is really helpful for other people. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it’s really helpful and interesting topic to write about.

Ashley