On December 13th, I was in my car and somebody hit us when they were running away from the police after robbing the apple store. This made me feel that Oakland is messing up more and more every day. I feel this way because it is even more violent than before and for the robbers what did this solve for them. Based on my research violence is never a solution because it does not get rid of the problem and only creates more violence.

Firstly, violence does not get rid of the problem. In the Iowa City Press-Citizen article “Violence not a solution,”  by Jane Yoder-Short, she writes that “our society has swallowed the bloody belief that violence solves problems.”The quote says that our society believes that the only way to stop violence is through murder or more violence. When interviewing my classmate, Ingrid, I asked her if the “policing in Oakland helped in reducing violence.” She replied and said “some have but many have just been mistreating people.” This shows that our community only responds to violence with violence. Even locals only see violent acts from the police as a response to violence.

Secondly, only through collaboration and cooperation between the police officers and the community can there be a resolution of violence in our community. The article “Oakland gun violence plunges 52 percent study” explains of a new strategy called “operation ceasefire” that has lowered the gun violence in Oakland. The article explains that the police are trying to find a new strategy to fight the violence in Oakland. In this case, they lowered the violence by working with the community and leaders to solve the issue of gun violence together. This article shows that by cooperating and collaborating with one another violence can be stopped. When interviewing my classmate, Ingrid, I asked her what she thought could be a solution to stop the violence Oakland. And she said, “we could stop the violence by having the police work with the community.”This shows that it so important now that people come together and put aside their differences so that we don’t end up creating more violence. We should make systems like abortion sea fire that tried to connect to police officer. This shows that it so important now that people come together and put aside their differences so that we don’t end up creating more violence. We should make systems like abortion sea fire that tried to connect to police officer.To conclude, my research shows that violence is never a solution because it does not get rid of the violence in our communities. Violence does not solve anything, it only causes more violence. The true solution to ending violence is through collaboration and cooperation between the police and the community.

https://patch.com/california/rockridge/oakland-gun-violence-plunges-52-percent-study

CC BY-SA 4.0 Violence in oakland by Khalid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.