On December 13th, I was in my car and somebody hit us when they were running away from the police after robbing the apple store. This made me feel that Oakland is messing up more and more every day. I feel this way because it is even more violent than before and for the robbers what did this solve for them. Based on my research violence is never a solution because it does not get rid of the problem and only creates more violence.

Firstly, violence does not get rid of the problem. In the Iowa City Press-Citizen article “Violence not a solution,”  by Jane Yoder-Short, she writes that “our society has swallowed the bloody belief that violence solves problems.”The quote says that our society believes that the only way to stop violence is through murder or more violence. When interviewing my classmate, Ingrid, I asked her if the “policing in Oakland helped in reducing violence.” She replied and said “some have but many have just been mistreating people.” This shows that our community only responds to violence with violence. Even locals only see violent acts from the police as a response to violence.

Secondly, only through collaboration and cooperation between the police officers and the community can there be a resolution of violence in our community. The article “Oakland gun violence plunges 52 percent study” explains of a new strategy called “operation ceasefire” that has lowered the gun violence in Oakland. The article explains that the police are trying to find a new strategy to fight the violence in Oakland. In this case, they lowered the violence by working with the community and leaders to solve the issue of gun violence together. This article shows that by cooperating and collaborating with one another violence can be stopped. When interviewing my classmate, Ingrid, I asked her what she thought could be a solution to stop the violence Oakland. And she said, “we could stop the violence by having the police work with the community.”This shows that it so important now that people come together and put aside their differences so that we don’t end up creating more violence. We should make systems like abortion sea fire that tried to connect to police officer. This shows that it so important now that people come together and put aside their differences so that we don’t end up creating more violence. We should make systems like abortion sea fire that tried to connect to police officer.To conclude, my research shows that violence is never a solution because it does not get rid of the violence in our communities. Violence does not solve anything, it only causes more violence. The true solution to ending violence is through collaboration and cooperation between the police and the community.

https://patch.com/california/rockridge/oakland-gun-violence-plunges-52-percent-study

CC BY-SA 4.0 Violence in oakland by Khalid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Brendan Davila 6 months ago

Khalid,
    I appreciate what you wrote and especially since you were hit by a person who was being chased for robbery. I think you are right, you can’t end violence with more violence. Look at all the protests we have had around the world and what they do to combat people being violent with one another. I think we must have like you said collaboration and cooperation in our communities. It is also the peaceful protests that help issues reside. One critique I do have is to have further research across other major cities as well. Oakland is a hotbed for violence and a lot of civil rights movements, but what other cities have the same problems? I would invite you to consider to looking more into police brutality and other cities that have the same problems. Today, many people have trust issues with police and I encourage you to continue to write about programs that help that divide. What can you do to make a difference in your city? What can you and your fellow students do to fight this growing violence in your city and also police mistrust?

Thanks for your post,
    Brendan Davila

2. Kayla 7 months ago

Dear Khalid,
    To start begin I like how you started off with a story about yourself and then bring in your claim. I like how you added your question and then there answer to show what they are answering. The only you need is a conclusion to make it all come together.

3. Beatriz 7 months ago

Dear Khalid,
    I was happy to read your blog about violence because I also wrote my blog about violence Oakland and why it happens. Something that I enjoyed from your blog was that you had some evidence that gave good explanations about your topic of violence. A question I have is why did you not include another interview in your blog for evidence? A piece of feedback I have for you is to do your citations so that people know where you got your evidence from and to be more precise in your analysis. Thank you for your writing and I look forward to seeing what you write next.
    Beatriz

Khalid 7 months ago

thank you so much for reading my blog.