Soccer Is Life Right?

Everyone in America says “Ball is life.” Why can’t we say Soccer is life? Why can’t we support soccer in America?  

Firstly, soccer is under supported in the US because Americans have not yet seen themselves “win” at soccer. The United States soccer team has won the Concacaf Gold Cup 6 times which makes them the second team with the most Concacaf Gold Cups with Mexico being the first with 7. But think about it, the United States hasn’t really had success in the World Cup and that’s where it matters the most. The farthest they made it in the World Cup was in 2002, they made it into the quarter-finals where they lost 1-0 to Germany. They also weren’t able to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. So soccer isn’t that popular in America because the United States isn’t really great at soccer and it’s one of the sports where America doesn’t dominate. This shows that Americans want is to win. If the US wins, they will be there supporting them but as soon as the US starts losing fans stop supporting the US and act like they weren’t cheering for them. So the American fan base for soccer isn’t really loyal.

Another reason why Soccer hasn’t made it to the top in America is about a misunderstanding in Soccer culture: the love of Flopping. Flopping is when a person pretty much dives when they are barely touch or they over exaggerate. A soccer coach that coaches at Life Academy, an Oakland High School named Royce Curtis said, “I think it’s interesting that there’s a lot diving in basketball but they don’t make it that noticeable” (Curtis). Curtis raised a very important point, there’s a lot of flopping in soccer especially by the best players like Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc. But there is also flopping by the best players in the NBA like Lebron James and James Harden but people only point out when soccer players flop but they don’t point out when basketball players flop in the US. Other countries love the flopping and love talking about it.

Thirdly, American’s love high scoring games. Football games get to the 50s, basketball gets over 100. Curtis confirms and said “Americans like high scoring games”(Curtis). This is true because Football is a sport Americans love and that’s a high scoring game because a touchdown is 7 points. Basketball is another sport Americans love watching and it’s a high scoring sport with there being a 3 point shoot and a close/mid range shot being worth 2 points. While in soccer every goal is only worth 1 point so people will most likely get bored while watching soccer because it’s a low scoring sport.

Moreover, soccer hasn’t risen in America because of the lack of green space and fields to play. Curtis said, “There’s not enough fields or green spaces” (Curtis). In Oakland there are not too many open soccer fields the only fields that are available are school fields and if people see us playing in them they consider it trespassing so players pretty much have to go somewhere out of Oakland just so they can play soccer. So Oakland should have more soccer fields so people can play soccer because nobody is trying to go somewhere pretty far just so we can play soccer.

However, Soccer has a lot of fantastic perks that come with it. In an article titled, “Why do Americans Dislike Soccer?” by John Tauer Ph.D. The article was countering perspectives about soccer. Tauer said, “It [Soccer] breeds teamwork, conditioning, coordination, and discipline, among other positive qualities”(Tauer). This proves how soccer is actually a really good sport. It’s not just fun to play, it also has a lot of perks that come with it just how Tauer explained in his article. Also this is one of the reasons why OUSD shouldn’t cut soccer because it brings so much perks with it.

Finally, soccer is not “life” yet in the US and in Oakland because it has a lack of resources. Curtis said, “There’s interest but not enough resources” (Curtis). This connects back to people not caring much about soccer because schools can get enough resources for soccer but they choose not to because they don’t support soccer. There are  students in schools that really like and support soccer. So the school staff should think about others opinion not just the majority opinion which prioritizes basketball and football over soccer.

In conclusion, Soccer isn’t supported by Americans because they haven’t seen themselves “win” in soccer. A major misunderstanding in soccer culture is the love of Flopping. Americans love high scoring sports and soccer is a low scoring sport. Additionally, soccer hasn’t risen in America because lack of green spaces and fields. Lastly because of the lack of RESOURCES provided by schools and the city of Oakland.

Work Cited:

Curtis , Royce. “Interview with Royce Curtis.” 12 Dec. 2018.

This interview was about soccer. Royce Curtis played soccer and now is a soccer coach at a school.

FIFA.com. “2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™.” FIFA.com, FIFA, www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/.

This article was showing the Fifa World Cup statistics. This is a credible source because it was made by FIFA.

Tauer, John. “Why Do Americans Dislike Soccer?” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, 24 June 2010, www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/goal-posts/201006/why-do-americans-dislike-soccer.

This article is about countering perspectives that people have about soccer. This is a credible source because it was made by John Tauer and he has made a lot of different sport articles so that means he loves other sports not just soccer.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Soccer Is Life Right? by Bryan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Erin Jenne 6 months ago

Bryan, I really appreciate your perspective on soccer and the misunderstandings surrounding the sport in the United States. I am not a huge sports person and I found that you made the topic approachable and easy to understand. I also really like the point you made about how there is flopping in basketball and Americans are ok with it in that sport. Why do you think that is? Is it tied to how Americans seem to like basketball better because it is a high scoring sport or something else? I also liked how you tied it to a personal issue: resources for soccer in the Oakland school district. This could be something you could build on and investigate how resources are allocated in your school district and for what. I hope this was helpful to you! Feel free to respond to this to let me know your thoughts about my thoughts.

2. Khalid 7 months ago

Dear bryan i like how your personl life mostly on soccer

3. Lupita 7 months ago

Dear Bryan,

I am caught by your blog ¨Soccer Is Life Right?¨ because it truly brings out the reasons why soccer is overlooked in the U.S. and brings out the true positives of soccer that would benefit us all. I also liked how you truly know your soccer knowledge and know where America’s team has fallen short. One sentence that truly caught my attention is, “Curtis raised a very important point, there’s a lot of flopping in soccer especially by the best players like Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar etc. But there is also flopping by the best players in the NBA like Lebron James and James Harden but people only point out when soccer players flop but they don’t point out when basketball players flop in the US”. This caught my eye because it shows that other sports that get more attention than soccer do the same things that soccer is called out for yet they are watched more. With this statement you prove those who hate soccer for flopping yet like other sports wrong because you show that you are getting nearly the same quality of sports. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you can change the worlds perspective by bringing other things that people might have not thought about into the light. =)

Bryan 7 months ago

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I agreed with you when you said, ¨With this statement you prove those who hate soccer for flopping yet like other sports wrong because you show that you are getting nearly the same quality of sports¨. I agree with you because this is soooo true but people don’t realize it. Anyways thank you so much for your comment.

4. Sebastian 7 months ago

Me personally don’t think soccer is life because I really do not like soccer at all because I didn’t grow playing soccer like most people so I really don’t like it

Bryan 7 months ago

Thanks for your comment. Something that stood out to me was when you said, “I didn’t grow playing soccer like most people so I really don’t like it”. This stood out to me because you are basically saying that you don’t like soccer because you pretty much haven’t played it. So that means you are just going to basically hate on soccer but you haven’t even played it lol oh well. Anyways thanks for your comment.