Many people think prostitution is a choice when most of the time it isn’t. Many young females are kidnapped and forced into prostitution by sometimes their own fathers. Many people might say Prostitution is like modern day slavery because females are kidnapped to work hard doing dangerous labor and for their pimps it’s a business because they get money off female’s bodies. They’re beat, starved, and sometimes even killed just like slaves back in the 1800’s.

Firstly, prostitution is like Modern Day Slavery because the prostitutes are forced into this dangerous job like Slavery

While interviewing a black mom she gave some good explanation\ on why she also believe prostitution is slavery “in some points yeah, kinda, its bondage when you do it at a young age and get brainwashed thinking its okay” what the black mom is trying to say by “bondage” is that the girls is the pimps property and they basically own them like slaves to do labor.

Another thing the black  mom also said was “yeah they are victim. They are mentally brainwashed, beat, and they are to think its okay when they just doing it out of fear”(black mom)

Andrew Pablo, a teacher at life academy, I asked him the same questions i asked the black mother and his response was “depending on where you are kids can be dragged into it by force”(Pablo) what he is trying to say is that it depends on where you live because many females get forced into it quite frequently.

Secondly, it is like modern slavery because the prostitutes are a business for their pimps who profit off kidnapping them and using them. From the article  OP-ED: The feds are focused on ending modern-day slavery in the U.S. it states

Human trafficking in the form of sexual slavery is a real problem in our country”(William M. Mcswain). What this quote is saying is that since human trafficking is a type of slavery and slaves were sold for money by white people and they got money off them that means the pimps get money off the females. So basically they get profit off the women

In conclusion prostitution/sex trafficking is modern day slavery because women are forced into it. But for men it’s a business because they get money off females bodies. They’re beat, starved, and sometimes even killed just like slaves back in the 1800’s. And to close this imagine you were in their shoes what would you do?

Photo by pheezy

CC BY-SA 4.0 Prostitution in Oakland by Kalani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oakley 3 weeks ago

This is a hard topic, but thank you for writing about it. This essay is straightforward and says what needs to be said.

2. Haley Martz 1 month ago

Kalani,

Thank you for drawing attention to such an important issue. I think you could include an argument on the prevalence of prostitution in low-income communities. Do you think there is a relationship between the two? Is there a high unemployment rate in the area? A high population of sex workers in an area is typically related to the rates of poverty or unemployment, and these women become sex workers out of necessity. I also think you need to make a distinction between prostitution and sex slavery. Prostitution can be something a person chooses to do as their career, and sex slavery is something a person is forced into doing. Making this distinction, interviewing an expert on the issue, and maybe including some statistics, could really strengthen your argument.

Best,
    Haley M.
    UCR Graduate School of Education

3. Evelyn 2 months ago

Dear Kalani,

I am moved by your post because it is so courageous of you to address such a horrid topic. Prostitution and sex trafficking is a major issue the United States faces. After reading your post, I feel further informed and aware of dangers.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ” But for men it’s a business because they get money off females bodies.” I think this is significant because it is the mentality “pimps” have. It’s so devastating to realize there are such people roaming around.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you address meaningful and real life issues.

Evelyn

4. Ashley 2 months ago

Dear Kalani :
    I am really impressed with your post “Prostitution in Oakland,” because you really explain how this is a big problem and how it is affecting young women. I like the way you said it straightforward and didn’t hold back on what you were saying. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Many people might say Prostitution is like modern day slavery because females are kidnapped to work hard doing dangerous labor and for their pimps it’s a business because they get money off female’s bodies.” I think this is important because it is true and most people turn a blind eye to it. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are very real about your writing and you a passionate about the topic.
    Ashley

5. Kaylee 2 months ago

Dear Kalani,
    I am surprised with your post, “Prostitution in Oakland”, because this is a sensitive topic that is not really talked upon by others.

One sentence you wrote that stands otr for me is “ Many people might say Prostitution is like modern day slavery because females are kidnapped to work hard doing dangerous labor and for their pimps it’s a business because they get money off female’s bodies”. I think this is very interesting because I never really thought of prostitution in this way and I think many others would agree with me.

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this is a very serious topic that more people need to be aware of and how it is associated with slavery.
    Kaylee Lopez

• kalani limbrick 1 month ago

Dear Kaylee,
      I’m glad you enjoyed my blog and grateful that you stumbled upon it and also had you thinking thats what i want when i’m writing and having you as one of my readers is pretty cool i hope you can reply back to thus when you get the chance.

6. Janie 2 months ago

Dear Kalani,
    I really like how you wrote about something that is important to you. I also like how you wrote about this topic in detail and also that you had empathy for people because you didn’t offend no one and you tried to inform others about why people do prostitution. I like how you connected position to slavery because many woman back then and maybe even now are used and people should know what’s going on in this world. By writing this blog you gave me knowledge about more things that are happening in this world and why its happening.

7. Leslie 2 months ago

Dear Kalani,
    Your topic is something that many people don’t talk about and I’m so glad you brought this up because many people are poorly informed in why prostitution should be brought up more frequently. Some advice I would give you is to add context when providing evidence. This would be helpful because you will give us a heads up about what we are about to read. I would love to see more context the next you write. Love youuuuuuu bestie.
    Sincerely Leslie Diaz

8. Kayla 2 months ago

Dear Kalani,
    How I feel about your topic is it is very powerful and something that isn’t recognized as much as it should be. Some advice I would like to give you is when you but evidence don’t forget to give some context about it and where it came from. Also, don’t forget to give powerful reasoning on why that piece of evidence connects and can back up your claim. But overall your writing is very powerful and every writer has a meaning to what they write and yours sticks out.

• kalani limbrick 1 month ago

Dear kayla,
      I’m glad you enjoyed reading my blog and your advice is helpful to i will pick up on that again i happy you enjoyed my writing and hope you enjoy more to come.

9. Ivy Delgadillo Santos 2 months ago

Hey Kalani, I wanted to comment that your blog is amazing because it talks about a topic many don’t really think about. This blog uncovers the truth of “modern day slavery”, prostitution. Have you seen this website? It is made by a charity, and its purpose is to spread knowledge on certain issues. The website linked it compares slaves from the 1800’s AND 1700’s to today’s prostitutes. You should take a look because I read this article and it seemed very interesting. Overall, good job your blog was nice, looking forward to the next one.

https://aeon.co/essays/what-the-sex-trade-has-in-common-with-the-slave-trade
    (search it up, somehow the link wont appear)

10. Samantha 2 months ago

Estimada Kalani:

Estoy muy asombrada por su publicación, “La prostitución en Oakland,” porque me gusta que hables acerca de cosas muy importantes.

Una frase que usted escribió que se destaca para mi es: “La prostitución es como la esclavitud moderna” Creo que esto es muy cierto porque la prostitución si es como una esclavitud moderna ya que te fuerzan contra tu voluntad a ser algo que no quieres.

Gracias por tu escritura. Espero ver lo que escribes a continuación, porque me gusta la manera en como te expresas y en cómo es la manera en la que piensas.

11. Rolando 2 months ago

Estimado Kalani :

Estoy impresionado sobre su publicación ” La prostitución en Oakland ” porque el tema que escogió es un tema del que debemos estar al tanto porque esta información nos podría ayudar a entender mas por la situación por la cual están pasando estas mujeres.

Una frase que usted escribió que se destaca para mi es : ” Muchas personas podrían decir prostitución es como la esclavitud moderna ” creo que esta frase es muy representativa de lo que quiere dar a conocer con su trabajo porque esto le ayudaría a cualquier persona para saber lo que pasa en otras partes del mundo.

Gracias por tu escritura. Espero ver lo que escribes a continuación, porque tus ideas de lo que escribes son muy interesantes para pasar un reto leyendo.