“My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too.”~ Barack Obama. As Obama stated everyone has migrated or at least had someone in their family that did. Immigration is a huge topic, especially nowadays. In Oakland there are many hard working immigrants. Based on my research, many immigrants move for a better life, search for a better economic opportunity, but they face struggles along the way, and fear deportation.

Better Life

Leaving for a better life is a huge part of Immigration. As humans, we always look for a better life individually or for the family. In an article “ Why do some families risk crossing the U.S. border? Because if they don’t, they’ll be killed” from Washingtonpost.com by Amanda Erickson. This article was about why people move to the US and shows what some people go through. It talks about the violence there is at some Latin American countries. Also Erickson talked about the separation of families. Erickson wrote, “ Many of these families are coming from exceedingly violent corners of Central America and aren’t just traveling to the United States for better jobs or more economic opportunities. Some are literally fleeing for their lives” (Erickson). This is showing that people don’t just move because they want to but because they need to for many reasons. Living in Oakland there’re plenty of people who are immigrants and move for a good cause. They either move because they are escaping from violence in their country or because they want to provide a better future for the family.

Economic Reasons

Furthermore, economic struggles are a huge part of why immigration exists. Many immigrants move to better support their family. In an interview with a person who lives in Oakland explains why he moved here to the USA 10 years ago from Mexico. This interviewee asked to stay anonymous and explained, “ I moved here because my family was very poor and I had a hard time finding a job. There was no way that my family would survive if it wasn’t for me. I cross the border and started working to send them money” (Anonymous). Moving from Mexico to Oakland has completely changed the person’s life. Now the person has a better job, a family and money to send to the person’s parents.

Struggles Along the Way

itionally, when people cross the border for more opportunities it is not always simple and often struggles continue. Some people struggle financially and emotionally at first. In  another interview with Jose Alfredo Espinoza, a construction worker who is the father of three and was a Mexican Ranchero and who moved to the USA 33 years ago, he stated, “ My experience was hitchhiking and walking. I took 8 months to find my family. I will sleep in abandoned cars and under bridges. I wouldn’t eat most of the times. I’ll get hit, or kicked out of places” (Espinoza). From the interview, it shows that immigrants struggle to move to a better place. Espinoza took so long to find his family and didn’t give up even if it meant to be homeless. He went from getting a good meal back at home, working with his dad and siblings on a ranch into not working, starving and being in strange place.

In addition to financial struggles after moving, many immigrants also live in fear of being deported. In an article “A life without papers” from NYtimes.com by Ehiracenia Vasquez it shares the personal opinion of a woman who lived without papers. This is showing how it really is to live because it is the immigrant’s perspective. Vasquez wrote, “ I keep all these papers in a drawer next to my bed, so I will have easy access to them as soon as I need them… the documents that would protect me, for a time, from deportation, and give me some relief from the constant fear that comes with life as an undocumented immigrant” (Vasquez). Immigrants have their documents that make them feel safe nearby. They have them as if it they were a part of their body. Having a fear of being deported is like a nightmare and people who came here for a better life shouldn’t feel that way.

In conclusion, from the two interviews that were taken in person and two articles that were taken from different people show that we all migrant for a better life. Even if we don’t see the positive side or say this your country, just remind yourself how you and your family got here. Some people will say that even if they go through all these struggles these people are bad people for immigrating without papers. However,  we shouldn’t judge people, we are not all perfect and people are who they are because of their way of living. Instead of talking bad and not helping them we should encourage them to be better people in a country with opportunities.

Work Cited

Erickson, Amanda. “Why Do Some Families Risk Crossing the U.S. Border? Because If They Don’t, They’ll Be Killed.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 20 June 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/06/20/why-do-some-families-risk-crossing-the-u-s-border-because-if-they-dont-theyll-be-killed/?utm_term=.b5b65557cf79.

This article was about why people move to the US and shows what some people go through. It talks about the violence there is at some Latin American countries. Also Erickson talked about the separation of families. This article is credible because Erickson writes about foreign affairs. This makes her not have a bias because she is specialize in studying about different countries.

Espinoza, Jose Alfredo. “8 Months of Struggle.” 10 Dec. 2018.

A 53 year old man from Mexico, Oakland resident who is a construction worker and has 3 children. He moved to the USA 33 years ago (Oakland 14 years ago). This is trustworthy because most of his family migrated to the USA. Also, he’s been here 33 years and based on the interview he has pass the border two times.

Anonymous. “Moving.” 13 Dec. 2018.

A 37 year old man from Mexico who currently lives in Oakland, is a seller and is a father of 2. He moved to the USA 10 years ago (Oakland 10 years ago). This is trustworthy because he recently just moved to the USA. Also, he has shown a lot of what he has done to accomplish everything he has now from when he passed the border.

Vasquez, Ehiracenia. “A Life Without Papers.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 2 Mar. 2015, www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/opinion/a-life-without-papers.html.

This article was about how an immigrant leaves being scared and living with their documents as if it was part of them. It also talked about making programs to get prepared to be able to move forward. This is credible because is the opinion of a woman who lived without papers. This is showing how it really is to live because is the immigrant’s perspective.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The path of Immigration by Evelin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Valerie 2 days ago

I like how you started the blog with a Barack Obama quote since he was the most impactful president in my opinion. Something you should do is when you are citing in your context to not write .com since it’s misleading. Also, check your spelling since it was confusing to know what words you meant to say. I hope to see more work about immigration.
    -Valerie

2. Martha 7 days ago

Dear, Evelin
    You did an unbelievable job at writing this. I love how you introduced the interviewee because you added good important information, this helps me add more information over my interviewees next time. I think you could’ve added more analysis about the quotes you chose. But I do believe your quotes were great and brought the reader’s attention. Another thing you did great was your conclusion it really told the reader the message of your article. Overall, I love your article and the way you formatted it but I think you could’ve added more analysis which would make it a lot stronger. Great Job! Sincerely, martha.