Kelly Iraheta                                                                                                                        

Humanities 9

Ms. Portugal

12/21/18

Immigration Reason and Causes

Immigrants risk their lives to go to a better country, but is it all worth it? Immigrants from various countries leave their homeland in order to have a better future for themselves and their families. There are many different reasons for why someone might want to migrate to the U.S. There is also many different outcomes both positive and negative for migrating to the United States. Immigrants leave their home countries for important reasons but once in the United States, they can face negative outcomes.

Immigrants migrate to the United States because of the conditions and circumstances in their home countries. This is true because Immigrants think that the United States is a great place to live and that it’s in better conditions than where they lived. To begin, an interview was done with a Oakland resident and father of 3 children. Santos Iraheta has lived in this country since he was 18 years old and migrated from El Salvador. In the interview he talked about the reasons and impact of immigration. Iraheta stated, “Gangs can want you to join them and if you don’t accept they send death threats and this causes you to leave the country”(Iraheta). Gangs can cause immigrants to flee their countries because of the fear of being killed by gang members. Immigrants can think that in the U.S there is no violence and gangs, this is why they choose to leave. This statement is also supported by a  website called www.usnews.com,the article named, “5 Facts on Migrants Coming to the U.S”, by Catesby Holmes explained the many different reasons why someone might want to migrate to this country. Holmes explained,“El Salvador went from a homicide rate of 36.9 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2000 to 64.4 in 2006 and 70.9 in 2009,” writes Cruz. The same thing happened in Honduras and Guatemala, where the rivalry between MS-13 and the Eighteenth Street Gang descended into a succession of local street wars”(Holmes). Violence created by gangs in Central American countries has increased the homicide rates. “Rivalry”, explains that conflict between gangs causes people’s lives to be at risk. This is a major reason why immigrants are fleeing their countries. People can be scared to be the next victim of gang violence and they can fear for their families lives as well. Nobody wants to be in a country that has a lot of violence because they won’t feel safe even in their own home.

In addition to migrating because of gangs and gang violence, immigrants can also migrate because of family reasons. In a interview done with Mariana Lopez, an Oakland resident and college student, Lopez gave her honest opinion about the reasons people migrate to the U.S. She commented that she had family members who migrated to the U.S from Mexico. Lopez said, “I think that people want their children to have better futures, like being able to go to college and not having to struggle in poverty”(Lopez). Lopez explained that immigrants migrate from their countries to give their upcoming families a better future. Lopez discusses the “Struggle in poverty”often immigrants face in their home countries. Poverty can be a huge reason why immigrants leave considering that they want to be in a country where they won’t have to struggle and where they can actually support themselves and their families.

When immigrants finally reach the U.S after their long journey, they can live productive lives or they can face challenging obstacles. For example, in a article by www.washingtonpost.com called, “7-year-old migrant girl taken into Border Patrol custody dies of dehydration, exhaustion”, they talked about how a little 7 year old girl from Guatemala died after being taken into Border Patrol Custody. Nick Miroff answered, “A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock after she was taken into Border Patrol custody last week for crossing from Mexico into the United States illegally with her father and a large group of migrants along a remote span of New Mexico desert, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Thursday”(Miroff).

Here is a picture of the little girl that unfortunately passed away.       

(www.cnn.com)

7 year old girl from Guatemala died because of dehydration and shock while being in custody of Border Patrol. She was detained because she crossed the border illegally with her dad. “Died of dehydration”, means that the girl was not taken care of properly while being detained by border patrol. Which illustrates the dangers of migrating considering that on the journey immigrants or their family members can die. This girl did not have the opportunity to live a productive life since she did not enter the country safely with her dad. Now she won’t ever get the chance at a “normal” life. Just like the 7 year old girl, immigrants can be detained which can lead to deportation, separation of family, and even death. Deportation can lead to not being able to accomplish the goals and productivity people came to this country for. To add on, in a article by www.globalcitizen.com, titled, The 7 biggest challenges facing refugees and immigrants in the US”, Christina Núñez wrote about the many challenges and struggles immigrants have to face once in the United States. Núñez reiterated, “Undocumented immigrants have an especially difficult time accessing services, largely because they are afraid of being deported. Consequently, people will avoid seeing the doctor or reaching out for services like legal guidance when they’re badly needed”(Núñez). Immigrants can face struggles even while living in the country, one of them being not accessing services when needed because of the fear of being deported which can have serious health consequences. One of the reasons people are putting their lives and health at risk is because they are scared to be deported. If immigrants are deported, they can be separated from family members. Also, they could be sent back to their country where like it was mentioned before can be a dangerous environment. Immigrants who face this struggle can’t live productive lives in this country seeing that it should be effortless to obtain services but they still struggle to acquire them.

Currently in our country there are many stereotypes going about how miserable immigrants are, which is an additional struggle faced by immigrants. Our president, Donald Trump, comments on immigration and says dehumanizing things that often people believe. People believe his statements because  Trump is in power and they think he is always correct. One of his statements says, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best, they’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people”. The words cause a devastating impact on immigrants because people discriminate against them. Immigrants face health disparities such as what was mentioned before which is not being able to access services that everyone needs. Getting harassed while doing normal activities can also be an effect of the words Trump keeps reiterating. Immigrants don’t deserve to experience discrimination and harassment because they don’t come into this country to be corrupt and sinful people.

In conclusion, immigrants can face negative experiences once in the country even though they left their home countries for vital reasons. Immigrants are putting their lives at risk in their home countries and even in this country. There should not be discrimination against immigrants just because of their status seeing that they come into this country to be valuable people equally to citizens.

Work Cited

Holmes, Catesby. “These Factors Are Pushing Central Americans to the U.S.” U.S. News & World Report, U.S. News & World Report, 21 June 2018, 3:56pm, www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2018-06-21/why-are-central-americans-coming-to-the-united-states.

The source talked about the reasons Central Americans are migrating to the United States. This source is credible because they are using words from people who are experts like a person from a university, immigration lawyers, and university professors.

Iraheta, Santos. “Interview with Santos Iraheta.” 11 Dec. 2018.

This interview as about immigration and the struggles of migrating to the United States. This source is credible because he know what it is like to migrate from Central America to the U.S

Lopez, Mariana. “Interview with Mariana Lopez.” 12 Dec. 2018.

The interview was about the topic of immigration. This source is credible because she knows family members that got deported and she has immigrant family members.

Moore, Nick. “7-Year-Old Migrant Girl Taken into Border Patrol Custody Dies of Dehydration, Exhaustion.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 14 Dec. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/national-security/7-year-old-migrant-girl-taken-into-border-patrol-custody-dies-of-dehydration-exhaustion/2018/12/13/8909e356-ff03-11e8-862a-b6a6f3ce8199_story.html?noredirect=on .

This article was about how a little girl from Guatemala died of dehydration while being in custody of Border Patrol. This source is credible because they are a news source and they are known globally.

Nunez, Christina. “The 7 Biggest Challenges Facing Refugees and Immigrants in the US.” Global Citizen, 12 Dec. 2014, www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/the-7-biggest-challenges-facing-refugees-and-immig/.

This source talks about the struggles and challenges immigrants are facing in the U.S. This source is credible because the author Christina Nunez studied global studies at the University of Santa Barbara so she is an expert in global topics.

CC BY-SA 4.0       Immigration Reason and Causes by Kelly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Author
    Kelly 6 months ago

Dear Warisha Ashfaq,

Thank you for commenting on my post and taking the time to read this, I really appreciate! I personally have not experienced any immigration issues but my family has. Both my parents are immigrants from El Salvador and they have personal reasons to migrate to this country. I am very sorry that you have had to experience those types of jokes. Have you ever expressed your feelings to the people who joke about your experience? I personally feel like you should because they might not know that their words are really hurtful. Again, thank you for leaving me this comment. 🙂
    Sincerely, Kelly

2. Warisha Ashfaq 6 months ago

Dear Kelly,
    I am glad you chose to write about such a contemporary and important issue we have going on. I liked that not only did you use the news to back up the immigration issue, but also personal interviews from people who have or are dealing with this issue. I want to ask you, have you had any experience with this immigration issue yourself? As for myself, though I was born in the Middle East, I came here when I was almost 2 years old. Sometimes, even my friends and family will joke around and call me an “immigrant.” While I know they are joking, sometimes it just gets on my nerves because I’ve been living here for so long so I don’t like the way they can discriminate me like that. Either way, I embrace where I was born and I feel like that’s what other people should do as well. Good job writing this blog, it was very well written and informative. I wish you the best and stay awesome!!
    Warisha

3. Beatriz 7 months ago

Dear Kelly,
    I was very excited to read your blog about immigration because it’s a big problem we have going on right now in the United States. The interviews you did stood out to me because it gives us a perspective from someone who knows about this topic since they have lived it. Some sentences thats stood out from your blog was “Getting harassed while doing normal activities can also be an effect of the words Trump keeps reiterating. Immigrants don’t deserve to experience discrimination and harassment because they don’t come into this country to be corrupt and sinful people”. The reason why this stood out was because this happens to many immigrants since Trump portrays them as bad people who can’t be allowed to live in the United States, but he is wrong because they actually don’t come to hurt no one.

Beatriz

Kelly 7 months ago

Thank you very much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment on my blog. I have one question, What is your experience with immigration? What do you think is wrong with Trump’s comments on immigration? Again thank you for reading my blog!