What should we do about gun violence? We can´t let it go. Oakland needs to do something about it. Gun violence is dangerous and unneeded for the Oakland community, so to prevent it in Oakland we can support people with anger issues and prevent access to guns.

Firstly, gun violence can be prevented if Oakland supports people who are angry or sad or have a mental illness so they do not think guns are an answer. In an interview with a girl named Christy Vong, a student in Life Academy Health and Bioscience in Oakland she points out ¨ Gun violence can be caused by rage and uncontrollable rage…I think Oakland doesn’t really do anything¨ (Vong). In Oakland people with anger issues are pushed then their problems are not solved. An Oakland science teacher in Life Academy Health and Bioscience named William Juang suggests that Oakland “ Provides them with support system whether it’s counseling and mental health program or something that addresses the root issue they are struggling with” (Juang).  Juang believes that this will solve anger and if this issue is solved it would reduce gun violence and this would help people with anger issues and the community be a safer place. In an article from a website named Nearly 1 in 10 Adults Has Impulsive Anger Issues and Access to Guns from Social work today. Which was also published in a special issue of the journal Behavioral Sciences and the Law that focuses on mental illness and gun violence, it confirmed the above interviews when it said, “Researchers found that anger-prone people with guns were at elevated risk for a range of fairly common psychiatric conditions such as personality disorders, alcohol abuse, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress.” (Social Work Today). The researchers have gathered and believe that people with anger issues that have guns have mental illness.

Secondly, gun violence can be prevented if there are less guns. Another science teacher from Life Academy Health and Bioscience named Christi Grossman in Oakland stated “ I think there’s a lot of day to day gun violence that happens particularly in low income areas and those don’t take a lot of attention even though it takes more lives” (Grossman). This shows that in little communities there is more gun violence and with that leads more gun usage and more deaths and no one really pays attention about it. An article written by NBC Bay Area staff that that was titled Bay Area Gun Buybacks Take Hundreds of Weapons Off the Streets claimed that “The impact is that’s there one less gun in the community and that’s one less gun that can do”(NBC Staff).This reinstates that the more the community takes guns away and or have less guns the less harm it would be in the community. Yet another article titled Best Tool’ to Prevent Gun Violence is Rarely Used in California by Alexei Koseff states “California courts ordered people to temporarily give up possession of their firearms 86 times in 2016 and 104 times in 2017 in response to requests for gun violence restraining orders from family members or law enforcement” ( Koseff). A actual useful law where law enforcements and family members of the gun holder can have the gun be taken away by request.

In conclusion, some may disagree, and think that education might solve the gun violence issue and solve anger issues because sometimes people get angry and don’t have a good life because of a lack of education. This solution is flawed though because anger issues can be triggered by different things other than education. A support system would make a huge impact and reach them more in their life and would help them find the core of what they’re dealing with. This  would allow them to release and let go of their guns and with less guns in the community there would be less harm.

Grossman, Christi. “Gun Violence Interview.” 13 Dec. 2018.

Grossman acknowledges that in little communities there are more danger and death with gun violence. She is trustworthy because she’s a professional science teacher and professional LLI teacher and cares about subjects like this in the world and clearly communicated that in the interview.

Juang, William. “Gun Violence Interview.” 18 Dec. 2018.

William suggests what Oakland should do to treat people with anger issues. He is trustworthy because he is a professional science teacher in Life Academy Health and Bioscience and clearly has learned health to be a science teacher.

Koseff, Alexei. “’Best Tool’ to Prevent Gun Violence Is Rarely Used in California.” Sacbee, The Sacramento Bee, 29 Mar. 2018, 08:48 AM, www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article206994229.html.

This article shows a law that California has made to prevent gun violence by taking it away from people who are dangerous but its barely used. This is trustworthy because The Sacramento Bee was founded in 1987 and read by millions and more all over the world and have won hundreds of journalism awards including 73 pulitzer prizes.

NBC Bay Area. “Bay Area Gun Buybacks Take 100s of Guns Off Streets.” NBC Bay Area, NBC Bay Area, 14 Dec. 2014, www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Gun-Buybacks-Held-in-San-Jose-Oakland-285732811.html.

The NBC Area Staff states if there was less guns there would be less gun violence and less harm. They are trustworthy because they are a television station licensed to San Jose, California, United States and serving the San Francisco Bay Area .By looking in the workers portfolios they have big experiences on news related Subjects;

“Nearly 1 in 10 Adults Has Impulsive Anger Issues and Access to Guns .” Social Work Today , Social Work Today , www.socialworktoday.com/news/dn_040815.shtml.

This is an article that focuses on Mental illness and gun violence. This is trustworthy because this focuses on difficult issues that need to be heard by Social work professionals, educators and lastly students.

Vong, Christy. “Gun Violence Interview.” 12 Dec. 2018.

This interview tells about how gun violence is bad for the community and and realizes that Oakland does not do anything about it. She is trustworthy because she is a student in Life Academy Health and Bio Science and has been learning humanities and health for 3 years.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gun Violence Prevention by Kimberly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Diego 7 days ago

Zooie-mama, what an epic blog post. Firstly, nice evidence use with having 3 interviews so you can get 1 more actual oakland person instead of the 2 minimum. Also, you cited your work well so you won’t be sued. Only I think typos hold it back maybe but maybe i’m illiterate who knows.