Why does gentrification make residents of Oakland think something is “too perfect to be true”? Building people’s hopes just to tear them back down, Gentrification is a trap to lead and trick original residents of Oakland with false perception of what Oakland might be in their community because it sets original residents up to fail because of rent increase and increased stereotypes towards them.

The first reason why gentrification is  “ a slap in the face” is because of the rent increases and pricing people out of their community and home. In Oakland, the medium two bedroom rent was $2,267, up nearly 3.7 percent when its only supposed to be increasing by 1.0%. This graph below shows some evidence of the rent increasing in Oakland.

As more streets in Oakland become gentrified, the prices for homes will continue to go up to keep the new apartments updated, and, make it difficult for Oakland residents to pay rent. This will eventually put Oakland’s original resident out on the streets, or may even force the residents to move to another state. Also, Karla Mitchell who is a residents of Oakland for 49 years stated “it’s not fair for the rent to increase by such a large amount because some people who are physically and mentally sick are not able to take care of themselves to do any better to keep up with the changes of today’s demands”( Mitchell). Also, some families that only have one provider in their home have to take care of their own kids and might not have enough money to provide food and pay this expensive rent.

Beyond these fair prices gentrification is also a “slap in the face”, because as the city change the rent prices, new community members are increasing the stereotypes on the original Oakland residents(African American population).

And since the residents are not able to afford the cost of the new houses or apartments, they’re forced to be evicted from their homes because they’re not able to pay rent. In an interview with a resident of Oakland for 24 years Mr.Jones, stated that when residents get evicted from their homes it makes it look as if the residents that are renting the apartments(African American) don’t work, or look for hand outs because they’re lazy and he doesn’t like that. It’s not that the residents don’t work, it’s that the jobs are not paying the resident enough money. If the rent goes up than the amount of money that the workers get paid should go up, so the resident can keep up with today’s changes. The reason it may look as if the Oakland residents are looking for hand outs is because there’s a stereotype that Oakland’s African American residents only live on welfare or housing authority, which is for people who acquire help paying their rent by the government. So it seems like the residents don’t want to work but just want things handed to them. Also it make it seem like the residents of Oakland(African American) are destructive and that’s why they had to re-model the homes. They’re already stereotype that Oakland residents(African American) are definite and ruinous.  

In conclusion the article talked about how how rent is increasing by 3.7%  when rent is only supposed to be increasing by 1.0% and increasing the rent can unfortunately  cause Oakland residents(African Americans) to be evicted from their homes. Lastly the article talked about how gentrification in a neighborhood is increasing stereotypes towards Oakland residents(African American), and by doing that it make people think that Oakland residents(African American) don’t work for their money but just want the unchallenging way out. If gentrifying was meant to spread positive value then gentrification should benefit both ends of the stick, and not just benefit one side and leave the other side empty handed. So all orignal Oakland residents should come together to be a strong unstoppable community.

“Cypress Creek Apartments.” Apartments for Rent – RENTCafé, www.rentcafe.com/apartments-for-rent/us/ca/oakland/?geopicker_type=viewport&viewport=-122.63921259652824,37.416391116683776,-121.70125483285636,37.95543292390906&zoom=10.

This source is credible because it shows a map of where these apartments are in Oakland and people able to look at others new apartments built in Oakland CA.

Hansen, Louis. “Anxious Tenants Face More Bay Area Rent Increases.” The Mercury News, The Mercury News, 13 Sept. 2018, www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/05/anxious-tenants-face-more-bay-area-rent-increases/.

This source is credible because it showed someone came and updated the news to make sure everything was accurate.

Jones. 11 Dec. 2018.I interviewed Mr. Jones December 12th 2018.

Mr.Jones is credible because he has seen his own town go from home to being gentrified. I also chose Mr. Jones because he has been a resident of Oakland for 24 years.

Mitchell, Karla. “Interview with Karla Mitchell.” 11 Dec. 2018. I interviewed Karla Mitchell about gentrification as a Oakland resident. I interviewed Karla because she has experience gentrification before as a Oakland resident. Also what makes her credible is she had been a resident of Oakland for 49 years.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gentrification is a “Slap In The Face” by Kanika is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Miaa Robinson 2 months ago

I really like this topic, I think that it is important that people understand gentrification. I like that you showed statistics that show outrageous rent prices. You should have interviewed someone who was significantly affected by gentrification. However, the way that you have written the blog makes it fairly easy to assume the consequences of gentrification

2. Brianna Anguiano 3 months ago

Hi Kanika,

I found your blog to be compelling! I think you made some strong arguments as to why gentrification is a “slap in the face” to Oakland residents. I also live in the Bay Area and agree that rent is extremely high making it hard to live here as it is. Gentrification only increases rent prices and as you said, puts more people on the street. I also think stereotypes are overlooked and it needs to stop in order to find the real root of the problem.

3. Mr. Ogaz 5 months ago

Dear Kanika,

I think you have a strong argument for keeping gentrification out of Oakland, and well any place that is becoming gentrified. I found that your argument of the racial inequalities that come from being kicked out of your apartment to be extremely compelling. This reinforcement of stereotypes is something that not many people connect with when we think of gentrification. Most people look at it as just this “updating” of the local businesses, but in reality, it affects the people and the communities who actually live there! So well done in that.

Going forward, I think using the same phrase “slap in the face” is great for an initial effect, but as the argument builds hearing that phrase kinda lessens its effect. Try to vary your connecting words and phrases. This is something that I always have to catch myself with! What other effects do you think gentrification can have on the community?

Kanika 5 months ago

Dear Mr. Ogaz

I love that you think my argument for keeping gentrification out of Oakland is very compelling because i’m only in the 9th grade and to get such a delicate eye to read and even notice my blog/work is very beholden. So I thank you for taking your time out and reading and commenting on my blog and to answer your question of what other affect does gentrification have on community is that the community may feel that their not worth nothing like feel like they have no value.

• Mr. Ogaz 5 months ago

Kanika,

Your words really do mean a lot to me, as I’m only a student teacher right now so I’m glad they have such a positive impact. So the feels are mutual! What I want you to start thinking about are some of the subtle ways gentrification can make people feel worthless. So your original argument is around the rent causing people to lose their homes reinforcing the stereotyping of the people, but what other ways can this make people feel less than that? Are there any other side effects of gentrification? These aren’t easy to see, but as I pointed out earlier, you have keen eyes to see things most don’t so I know that you can figure some of those things out!

4. Author
    Kanika 6 months ago

Hey Calvin, Thank you so much for reading my blog. The part of your comment that stood out to me was when you said that u agree with my point about the single parents because I truly believe that this is a big deal for the Oakland community. To answer your question about the New community members are increasing the stereotypes on the original Oakland residents it means that the white population is increasing in Oakland and the black Population is decreasing and there making more stereotype on the black community. I look forward to hearing back from you!

5. Calvin 6 months ago

Hey Kanika, I really like the topic you chose to talk about. I agree with a lot of the points you made, especially the one that mentions that a lot of single parent households can’t really afford to take care of their kids and pay off rent at the same time. One question that I have is what do you mean by “New community members are increasing the stereotypes on the original Oakland residents? Anyhow, good job on your blog! 🙂