The increasing amounts of school shootings in America have left families devested and a country in shambles. Parents are demanding answers as to why their child was killed and many other students have ceased going to school completely because of the trauma they experienced. To resolve this issue we need to work towards preventing the problem before it progresses to the point where someone feels like they need to pull the trigger.

There are many different reason people think school shootings have increased. In an article called “Why do school shootings keep happening? We need to listen. a report showed that someone close to the attacker knew his plan. But the “…information rarely made its way to an adult.”  the article even goes on to say that “The majority of the attackers had difficulty dealing with loss or personal failures, or felt bullied, persecuted or injured by others.” These kids felt so much pain that they felt as though there only escape was a gun. This shows that that the problem is deeper rooted in the mental health of a child.

The solution to preventing violent acts such as these is by focusing on the mental health of students. In another article called “Here’s How To Prevent The Next School Shooting, Experts Say Kamenetz suggests that you “Don’t harden schools. Make them softer, by improving social and emotional health.” When children feel like their in a hostile violent that doesn’t care for their well being they tend to lash out. But if we teach our students at a young age that their well being is the school’s first priority they won’t feel the need to lash out. The article continues to say that you should remove “environmental hazard” that contributes to gun violence: the guns. The eight-point plan calls for universal background checks, a ban on assault-style weapons. Taking precautions like these contributes to a safer and “softer” environment for the kids at this school.

Finally, It’s also important to help those who have already been affected by these traumatic school shootings. Taking care of their mental health is just as important as protecting the mental health of students who haven’t been affected by it yet. The best care takers for these students are their parents. Some things parents can do to help these students through the traumatic experience is to see if they see a change in a child’s emotional behavior to see if they had any explore to traumatic experiences, That way you can start working towards looking at things you can to help your child said The Impact of Mass School Shootings on the Mental Health of Survivors: What Parents Need to Know.

Photo by A Health Blog

CC BY-SA 4.0 How To Prevent School Shootings? by Mary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.