Hey, I wrote this poem to talk about my life experiences and to show how love doesn’t really matter and what does matter is family and how when they are gone it’s hard.

WHY ME?

by: Jennifer Duran

Why me?
What did I do to deserve this shit?
Why do I always feel like the world is crushing every part of my body?
Why am I so sad all the time?
Why can’t anyone see it?
Why do people think I’m joking?
They think my life is perfect
They don’t know that my closest primo Beto killed himself because he was gay and his parents didn’t accept him
They don’t know my uncle was murdered by a police officer on my 12th birthday
They don’t know two of my siblings are in jail for selling drugs
I feel worthless and that I can’t live up to anyone’s expectations
They don’t know how hard it is to live as I do
Waking up every morning feeling like shit depressed as fuck asking myself why the fuck did I have to wake up again then walk into school into humanities and put on that fake smile and say yea “I’m fine”
Juliet said Romeo where art thou Romeo Well I say Beto where art thou Betito
Uncle where art thou uncle
Sister where art thou sister
Brother where art thou brother
Where are you guys??
Why did I deserve this?
Why did they take you from me?
Why doesn’t my family believe in acceptance?
If they did Beto would still be here and my 26 year old prima Victoria wouldn’t have to rely on 15 year old me just because her family doesn’t understand what she chose to do for a job
Why can’t I love myself like other do?
Why am I so worthless?
Why am I still crying out for help when obviously no one can see it?
Why me?
Why me?
Why me?
Why won’t the pain end?
When will it end?
Juliet said Romeo where fore art thou Romeo
Because of “the love of her life” wasn’t near her
But I say is cousin where fore art thou cousin
Where art thou uncle
Where art thou sister
Where art thou brother
I say this because I can’t see my own family anymore
Where y’all at?
When can I see y’all? never
My mother told me that thunder only happens when it’s raining
So does that mean that it’s always raining if my brain is full of thunderous emotions
I want to see Beto and Victoria ,
my Tio Roberto and,
Alexis y Julio
To be or not to be is now
My question

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why Me? by Jennifer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jocelyn 1 month ago

Hey, My name is Jocelyn and I am really impressed by your poem. I really liked the part where you said “Waking up every morning feeling like shit depressed as fuck asking myself why the fuck did I have to wake up again then walk into school into humanities and put on that fake smile and say yea “I’m fine”. “ I really felt that because I be feeling like that at times but never give up shit I know it gets hard but you gotta keep your beautiful head up no matter what you going through. I’m really sorry your cousin committed suicide. My cousin recently passed away because of cancer and all tell you myself it’s hard asf to say your “Fine” when in reality you feel sad and dead. Head up if anything i’m here much love.

Sincerely, Jocelyn Figueroa

2. America 1 month ago

I really like your poem i could tell that it came down deep inside you. People could relate to this because i feel like people have been through that. Nice job i really liked your poem.

3. Joey 1 month ago

To Jennifer,
    Thanks for sharing your poetry on YV! I liked the way you tied together the story of Romeo and Juliet, with your personal experiences. I feel like most people can relate to your poem to some degree, and I think your writing really comes from the heart. However, I was slightly confused by your last two lines. What is to be or not to be, and why do you question it? Thank you for releasing your poem on YV, I enjoyed reading it.

4. Author
    Jennifer 1 month ago

DORANELI

5. Doraneli 1 month ago

YES SISTER