In this poem I connected Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare) to Oakland. It is related because the first sentence is a line from the sonnet. This part later on shows that instead of it being the Montagues and Capulets, it is just the city of Oakland. Hope you enjoy my poem and please leave comments.

Two households, both alike in dignity

Separated by the thin line of hate

Boundaries being claimed

So many gangs could be named

9 am

Boom !

A gunshot from a distance

The echoing as it fades away

Being confused if it’s a firecracker or an attempted murder

Hearing a helicopter flying nearby

Being scared in your home not even knowing if you are safe

The sirens of police and paramedics arriving to the scene

The paranoia lying in your bed as the noise gets louder

11 am

You drive to a destination you are so eager to see

The brightness of the yellow tape as it shouts CAUTION

And yellow cones all with numbers on them

A crime scene

Bags and belongings on the floor

Thinking back to hearing the ricochet of bullets as they fell down

Being anxious for the traffic light to turn green

So you could flee the scene

Feeling apprehensive of all noise around you

Because it could be anything

Oakland

Hoping for violence to end

So we could roam the streets

To freedom

CC BY-SA 4.0 Paranoia by Valerie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Diego 1 month ago

Dear valerie,

Your is outstanding. I like the part when you compared oakland to gun violence. The fact that you chose to write about gun violence shows how you care about it. I also like how you started with the prologue of romeo and juliet it was good. I like how there is a lot of detail in this poem. Keep up the good work.

sincerly , diego rivera

2. katelyn 1 month ago

Dear Valerie,

Thank you so much for sharing your poetry. A line that stood out to me was “The brightness of the yellow tape as it shouts CAUTION” because it was very descriptive and in my head could see that very clearly .

Your poem also reminded me of how I felt after hearing about all of the recent shootings .

Thank you so much for writing and I look forward to reading your next post.

Katelyn