,

Hi, my name is Cece. I’m a 9th grader at Life Academy. My poem is about how my family and I fight about how I’m bisexual and my mother and father don’t accept me because of their religion. I wrote the last part for them as a message because I just want them to accept me and for who I want to love even if it means that they have to go against their religion. I hope you enjoy my poem and is able to understand the message.

Not Loving the Right Person

I wish we were fighting over food

instead of the person

I love.

Adults say I should love a specific person

But,

My heart says I should love

Whoever I want.

Fighting everyday because of who I chose to love

Is not the person they want me

To love

Problems start with beliefs,

What I believe against

What they believe.

Why can’t we both just believe that it’s ok to love whoever you want.

Teams between the family.

One team accepts,

The other opposes.

How can we get along if the teams don’t play together

Sexuality gets in the way of family

Some accept

Some deny me as if I was a stranger looking for shelter

Others hate the idea

Problems start with beliefs,

What I believe against

What they believe.

Love can mend situations,

Love can destroy someone,

And love can bring two people closer

like how glue brings itself close to paper.

Hate causes problems,

Hate causes feuds,

And hate can put family against one another.

Can you just let me be ?

Can you let me love who I want ?

I swear I won’t let them hurt your lil girl,

All I ask for is for you to accept me for who I am and for who I want to love.

Is that not a simple request ?

I know it means you’ll have to go against what you believe

Problems start with beliefs,

What I believe against

What they believe.

But,

for your lil girl,

Can you go against them ?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Not Loving the Right Person by Celeste is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. alexandra rosas 2 months ago

Dear Cece,
    Your poem speaks to everyone who suffers for their parents and others to accept you for who you truly are. I believe that someone should love and support you know matter what or who you are becoming. It must have been hard to write such a personal topic, but I believe that writing this poem has helped you express your true feelings and express who you truly are as a person even if some do not accept you as who you truly are. Someone who believes in something with all their heart it is hard to make them believe in something else that they have never thought about before. One quote that stood out to me was “My heart says I should love whoever I want,” and your right the heart wants what it wants and there is no way of changing it. I just want to thank you for writing this article, it gives others the thought that they are not alone.

2. Jocelyn 6 months ago

Hey, My name is Jocelyn go follow me on instagram @Joceegobrazzy and add me on snapchat @Jocelyn17385.I really liked the part where you said “Adults say I should love a specific person but my heart says I should love whoever I want.” I agree with you because your heart is telling you to love whoever no matter if your parents are wrong about it. But at times your parents may have a point to tell you what to do and what not to do. Another than that i really liked your poem. Good Job.

Sincerely, Jocelyn Figueroa

3. Judith 6 months ago

Dear Cece,
    I loved how real your poem was. It shows some of the struggles many LGBTQ+ youth have to go through and because of it, I’m sure many people will be able to relate to your poem and feel not as alone. I like how you connected the topic of love from Shakespeare and turned it into something poignant and vulnerable. Because of this, my favorite line from your poem is
    “Love can mend situations,”
    “Love can destroy someone” because it shows the positive, yet hurtful impact love has on people.
    Thanks for sharing your poem!

4. Piper 6 months ago

Dear Piper

Thank you so much for sharing your poetry. A line that stood out to me was “Some deny me as if I was a stranger looking for shelter” because it really shows how someone can feel when they can’t express themselves.

I really liked your poem it shows how your freedom can be taken away by a religion or what someone believes in.

Your poem reminded me of how people are discriminated because of their sexuality.

Thank you so much for writing and I look forward to reading your next post.

Piper

5. Diego 7 months ago

Wowee, thanks for posting a very personal topic on how you are dealing with this very sensitive subject matter. It must have been a difficult thing to post this out to the interwebz. But it’s a very good thing you did because it can give others (like myself) a perspective on how devastating it must be to bisexual and not getting support from your loved ones.