I wrote a story that connects to Romeo and Juliet. My story connects because it talks about the fighting between the both of my parents and how Im in the middle. My story is very similar to the Montague and Capulets because of there fighting. I hope when you read my poem you enjoy but you can also have an connection. Thank you so much.

Do you hate going back and forth?

Because I knew I do

I’m really tired of all the fighting

At the end of the day guess who’s crying

Laird vs Johnson at war

When they fight it leads us all into court

You basically left me after I was born

How did you think I felt cause you left my heart torn

Y’all cause me to leave people I love

This is why it’s hard for me to find trust

You both scared me

At times I felt y’all weren’t even there for me

And you caused me to separate from my other siblings

Mom why didn’t you care

I couldn’t do anything but watch

And when he hurt you I was very aware

I didn’t know what to do but don’t I didn’t care

And dad you tried to make me lie

You told me not to say anything and all I did was sigh

You turned my own family against me

You even stop family from talking to me

And when I wanted to spend time with you,you let me be free

Living with my mom I was always alone

I didn’t feel free because I had to stay home

I’ve been keeping a secret from you all

I don’t know if I can tell you all because yall dont get along

Why dont yall ever listen

Yall are to distance

I’m tired of going back and forth from Oakland to Richmond

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Life Story by Kayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Michelle 3 months ago

Hi Kayla, awesome job on your poem, you did an amazing job connecting your personal home experience to Romeo and Juliette. I’ve never been in your shoes but I do have friends who have been, however I have been there for them every step of the way and it’s not easy to watch. Throughout your poem I see how you strongly express yourself and that is not so easy to do, very brave of you to share. You mentioned in your poem, “This is why it’s hard for me to find trust”, if you don’t mind me asking, have you found someone to be able to share your feelings with and express yourself? Whenever I find myself in a situation where I’m feeling upset talking to someone besides the person you might be upset with helps soothe your mind and feelings, sometimes they have the comforting words. Overall very great poem I loved it even more because you were able to connect it to your very personal life.

2. Asa 7 months ago

Dear Kayla,
    Thank you so much for sharing your poetry. A line that stood out to me was “At times I felt y’all weren’t even there for me And you caused me to separate from my other siblings” because I think this line is very emotional and deep. A connection I made to your poem is that I can understand how hard it is to be part of two worlds. Thank you so much for writing and I look forward to reading your next post.
    -Asa

3. Tania 8 months ago

Dear Kayla,
    You did such a great job in your poem. You showed and expressed so much emotion into your poem which is really good. I think your claim about war between your parents is very clear and very deep. I think it’s very brave of you to say such things as the ones you have explained. I really like the part when you say,”Y’all cause me to leave the people I love, This is why it’s hard for me to find trust”. I think it’s a really good quote and I wish I could hear your poem since it shows lots of emotions. Thank you for expressing your words, keep on writing your really good at it. -Tania