My poem is about female empowerment and how we should all view females. Growing up i can tell you that everyone was insecure, including myself. It took me the longest time to gain just a bit of confidence myself. But throughout my poem I hope I can help boost a females confidence. We, as young females should know our worth.

We are not toys

Our happiness does not depend on on boys

We are strong and independent

We do not count on forced marriage

you take advantage of us and you never feel the guilt

Just wait until I show you the confidence i’ve built

You think I’m powerless but you are wrong

In reality I know that I’m strong

A female has their inner beauties and should not be materialistic

If you think otherwise, you are not being realistic

My fellow women you are beautiful and strong

You will grow and blossom like a flower

You will soon find your power

You shine brighter than the stars above the sky

There is no reason to be shy

Stand up and show who you are, there is no reason to be ashamed

Not every girl is the same.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Girls Everywhere by Leslie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jocelyn 18 hours ago

“We are not toys”
    I am really impressed with these words because I agree so much with you boys thing we are toys to play with like no boo we have feeling. But I really like your poem it’s strong and powerful. “Our happiness does not depend on on boys”
    I also really like the part were you said we don’t need to depend on boys like we really don’t we can do stuff on our own. Other then that I am very proud of you ma love

Sincerely, Jocelyn Figueroa

2. Janie 1 day ago

Dear Leslie
    Your poem is sooo good. I really like how you talk about female empowerment and how females should not depend on a guy to succeed. Something that stood out from your poem was “Our happiness does not depend on on boys” because many females feel like they can only be happy when there with a guy but that not true. I really like how you talk about how females are strong and you should not be ashamed about who you are. Some I really like about your poem was that is rhymes. I really like how you wrote this to inspire other girls and how it also relates to you and that this is a very personal poem to you.
    -Janie

3. Evelin 2 days ago

Dear Leslie,

Thank you for sharing your powerful poem. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is ¨ We do not count one forced marriage¨. I think this is very powerful because people think we have to get married when we don´t. Another sentence that I liked was ¨ You will soon find your power¨. This stood out because you´re showing the power that women have. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you´re a good writer. Hope seeing powerful poems!

4. Kelly 6 days ago

Dear Leslie.

Thank you so much for sharing your poetry. A line that stood out to me was “Not every girl is the same” because many people act like they can treat females the same, sometimes good,sometimes bad.
    A second line that was powerful was “You will soon find your power” because so many girls around the world aren’t in control of there own lives or won’t take control of their lives.

A connection I made to your poem is the need to be someone else instead of yourself.

Your poem also reminded me of Juliet from “Romeo and Juliet.” Juliet wasn’t able to make her own choices like when she was sent to marry Paris. Maybe things would have gone differently if Juliet had a choice.

Thank you so much for writing and I look forward to reading your next post.

From me,
    Kelly