I just don’t understand why my mother does not understand me. I tell her that I am not straight. I am bisexual. I like guys and girls.

My mom said to me that there so no such thing as people being bisexual. This hurt me. But I had to realize that when she grew up in the 60s people were only straight or gay. I don’t condone her for what she said. My mom just needs to learn that things are different in 2018, that I can like whoever I want.

I only realized that I liked girls when I was 16 and I am 18 now. I have always liked guys though. It was hard for me to realize that I liked girls so it might be harder for my mom to realize that I am bisexual.

My mom will understand one day. I will be there to help her understand along the way.

Photos by mattbuck4950,

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why??? by Beatrice is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Mack 2 weeks ago

Beatrice, don’t let this get to you. It is hard for her understand right ow but at the end of the day she still loves you. Just remember to be happy and to be who you are and that you are accepted. Be confident and don’t let others tell you something that you know that you arent.

2. Hailey 2 weeks ago

Hi Beatrice. Thank you for sharing this short essay with me! I loved how you opened up about your feelings towards your mom and I get how people might not always understand you as well as you would like them to. Your opening sentence was impactful when you said “I just don’t understand why my mother does not understand me”. Keep up your good writing!

3. Author
    Beatrice 2 weeks ago

Feel free to contact me.