A comfort zone is defined as “a place or situation where one feels safe or at ease and without stress” (Google). Have you ever stepped out of your comfort zone, done something that had a “what if” next to it? I believe that it is important to step out of your comfort zone, for you will be able to; gain more self-confidence, explore more opportunities, and progress your maturity. These traits are necessities throughout working world.

By stepping out of your comfort zone you will be able to gain more self-confidence. Many people who have trouble with self-confidence tell themselves that bad things will happen if they do something different. They don’t like the unknown, for example, they would rather not wear a fancy dress compared to their regular sweatshirt and jeans, because they don’t know how people will react, whether or not the reaction would be positive or negative. But they don’t know until they try. I mean what could happen? Somebody doesn’t react or they say they liked your dress wore from before? It is the benefits that outweigh the negatives, someone could say that they really liked the change. And by getting positive feedback, can make their day, it will increase their self-confidence. Self-confidence is an issue in many lives today, but stepping out of the comfort zone can increase self-confidence immensely.

How would you feel, doing the same thing every day without change? Some might go insane, but others might like it. They like the scheduled life, doing everything that they were planning without any surprises. But it is good to do something different, something out of the ordinary. For example, rather than going to sleep in your warm cozy bed, go camp outside in a tent. You know what it feels like to sleep in your bed, but you don’t know what it is like camping outside. By doing something as simple as this you can wake up the next day saying you liked it or didn’t, if you like it great, if not you don’t have to do it again. But in order to be able to do something different you have to step out of your comfort zone, it will allow you to learn more about yourself, what you like v.s. what you dislike.

As we all know, maturity is gained throughout your lifetime, and that maturity is a form of wisdom. When you are younger you constantly have to rely on your parents when it came to; making doctor (dentist, eye doctor) appointments, buying groceries, driving etc. As children, we leave those types of jobs to them. Eventually, it will the time to “grow up”, where you begin to take over those jobs. You become more mature, by broadening your responsibilities. Some may think that making a doctors appointment isn’t a big deal, but for others, it means the end of the world, they don’t like the change. Which is why it is important for them to step out of their comfort zone and they will eventually adapt to their new responsibilities.

Everyone’s comfort zones are different. There are many who confine themselves in their comfort zones. But by doing that they prevent themselves from increasing self-confidence, embracing opportunities, and limiting their maturity. Which is why they must be introduced to different situations so that they can decide how they act and eventually become more independent and more self-reliant. I believe that it is important to step out of your comfort zone.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Comfort Zones by EmmaC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oakley 1 week ago

It is a hard yes wonderful thing to expand you horizon and try something you normally would not. I agree with your writing and I really liked the part about how maturity is a form of wisdom.

2. Erik 2 weeks ago

I think everyone needs to come out of there comfort zone every now and again for example when I stepped out of my comfort zone when I was at a amusement park and went on a ride I didn’t like I realized it wasn’t that bad actually it was really fun.

3. Audrey 2 weeks ago

Emma, I think you provide valuable insight about embracing trying new things and how it can create positive change in your life. I like how you acknowledged that everyone’s comfort zone is different and thats okay. I read something the other day about a few reasons why stepping out of your comfort zone can be beneficial for people. Here is a link in case your interested (https://www.forbes.com/sites/annlatham/2018/04/11/16-reasons-why-you-should-get-out-of-your-comfort-zone-now/#3d6b797a62e5) Thank you for sharing this article. I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

4. Olivia 2 weeks ago

Emma,
    I agree that it is important to step out of your comfort zone, but I think there is a limit. If you have a healthy, active lifestyle, would you decide to eat nothing but cake for a week and stay in bed just because it is something different? I believe that if a situation presents itself and is not obviously dangerous or detrimental, it is okay to be uncomfortable and try something new, but I do not think that finding something that makes you uncomfortable is necessarily the right way to approach the situation. Would you agree?

5. Katie 2 weeks ago

Emma, I think that you’re right about the way that leaving comfort zones can improve self confidence. I liked your example about the dress. I think that it might seem kind of superficial, but wearing certain clothes that you thought you wouldn’t like is a really good way to actually find out whether or not you enjoy it. Plus, once you find out whether or not you are comfortable, you can be more confident in yourself.

6. Katherine 2 weeks ago

Emma, I really like the message you convey! I have always struggled with doing things outside of my comfort zone so it was nice to read this. I really liked your example of, “For example, rather than going to sleep in your warm cozy bed, go camp outside in a tent,” because it shows that simple acts like sleeping outside can help push our boundaries, even if we are just taking small steps. I really enjoyed reading your perspective on comfort zones and look forward to reading what you write next!

7. Johnny 2 weeks ago

Emma, this is fascinating! I am a person who typically has trouble stepping outside his comfort zone, but I want to have self confidence. You provide good, easy to understand examples that help the reader grasp your idea. I have one question and that is “How can we push people to take the first step outside their comfort zone?” As we all know the first step is hard. Just beginning to build your self confidence can be difficult and from there it gets easier. For example asking someone to your school’s Homecoming Dance your freshman year is a total nightmare. Some don’t even go because they have a fear of rejection or whatever it may be But if they follow through, It makes it easier the next time until you are a pro come Senior year. What can we do to better initiate this process? I would love to hear more about this to apply it to my own life.

8. Maggie 2 weeks ago

Emma, what you said really resonated with me. Learning to embrace the uncomfortable and use it to make yourself better can be really challenging, but also really beneficial. Like you said, it teaches you about yourself and makes you a stronger person. You have a really interesting, honest perspective on this subject and I’d be interested to hear what else you have to say about it.
    Maggie

9. Anika 2 weeks ago

Emma, I completely agree with what you’re saying. Up until recently I’ve been terrified to try something that might make me feel vulnerable or uncomfortable. I have learned to embrace these moments because, like you said, they can help you grow as a person. You wrote, “But in order to be able to do something different you have to step out of your comfort zone, it will allow you to learn more about yourself.” I have learned a lot about myself by doing exactly this. I really enjoyed how well you explained your point/perspective on the subject. Nice job!