The central message is about guns and violence in America and the fact that we deal with them and consume them as part of entertainment on one hand, and on the other hand, is a part of our national conversation, Ramsey tells TIME. “You’re not supposed to feel as if this is the standard fare opulence of the music industry. It’s about a counter-narrative and it really leaves you with chills.”

The opening moments of “This Is America” show a man strumming a guitar alone to choral sounds. Within the first minute, Gambino shoots the man, who has been tied up with a head cover. Childish Gambino hands the gun to another man, who safely wraps it in a red cloth as the obscured man is dragged away. The moment goes right into the first rapped chorus: “This is America / Don’t catch you slippin’ up.”

Photo by chase_elliott

CC BY-SA 4.0 My thoughts on “This is America, by Childish Gambino by Mckenzie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Matt 2 weeks ago

I enjoyed this post and everytime I watch to music video I notice something new. There are a lot of deep messages in this video. That main one that I noticed was that people only show the good things going on in some people’s lives but they don’t show their problems and things that need to be fixed.