medicine photo A prevalent issue across the nation is the legalization of medical marijuana. In Utah, many people recognize this issue as Proposition 2 in this years midterm election. Proposition 2 allows people with conditions such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, chronic pain, and multiple sclerosis to have to obtain medical marijuana cards through a physician. To many, including myself, voting in favor of this proposition is a no-brainer; if this substance genuinely helps people in chronic pain, why is it even an issue? Prior to researching this topic, I felt strongly about the legalization of marijuana and after reading several articles, I feel even stronger about this issue.

A  New York Times article,gives prospective voters an example of how medical cannabis is being implemented in other countries. As of November 1st, doctors in Britain can prescribe medical cannabis to a patient who “has an unmet special clinical need that cannot be met by licensed products.” The catalyst for this movement were two highly publicized cases of young epileptic patients dependent on marijuana-based treatment. This article directly supports my opinion on why medical cannabis should be legal in all parts of the world. There is simply no excuse for any patient to be denied a viable treatment due to laws based on stigma.

In order to further my perspective on this issue, I chose to search for an article that would challenge my current stance on this issue. A CNBC article gives ample reasons as to why legalizing medical or recreational marijuana is a bad idea. The main arguments stem from the authors believe that legalizing marijuana will result in a higher percentage of drug-related issues such as a higher rate of illegal marijuana trafficking, drug-impaired driving would increase, and overall a higher drug addiction rate. Although these points are somewhat valid, it still doesn’t excuse withholding helping treatment options to those who need it.

The final article, localizes this well known problem to Utah. In this years midterm election, Utah citizens voted to pass proposition 2. Proposition 2 allows patients to obtain medical marijuana cards  via doctors office for certain conditions. However, with this comes copious amounts of restrictions that are still subject to change when this proposition is brought to legislature. State officials will license and regulate medical marijuana and will permit six pot plants to a person that lives more than 100 miles away. In addition to this, doctors can’t work for a dispensary and can’t recommend a card to more than 20% of their patients. Even though nothing is set in stone in terms of Proposition 2, I firmly believe that this will improve the overall well being of the citizens of Utah.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/7/18052950/utah-proposition-2-medical-marijuana-legalization-results

https://www.cnbc.com/id/36267223

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/world/europe/uk-medical-cannabis.html

CC BY-SA 4.0 Prop 2 by Abby is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.