I think If Beale Street Could Talk is a decent book, but we haven’t read it fast enough, and that kind of prevents anything from the book to be soaked in, and I don’t have that much knowledge on it. Nothing super eventful has happened yet either, but that may be from the fact that we’re on page 45 and its a 200 page book.

The first few pages of If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin might leave a reader feeling depressed because the protagonist Tish is pregnant and the father, Fonny, is in prison. An example of this is on page 5.  “But he was far away from me now, all by himself. I waited for him to come back. I could see it flash across his face: my baby? I knew that he would think that. I don’t mean that he doubted me: but a man thinks that. And for those few seconds while he was out there by himself, away from me, the baby was the only real thing in the world, more real than the prison, more real than me.” This is depressing because Fonny is in prison, isolated from his pregnant girlfriend, and possibly isolated from the baby when it is born, and he doesn’t know how to feel about it.

A reader’s questions might start on page 3 where it says: “He’s in jail.” This is important because the father of Tish’s child is in prison, apparently under false pretenses. The author seems to be making the point that in the society of white America, black men are often punished unfairly, and this can lead to entire families being destroyed.

After this part of the book, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this book in order to find out why Fonny is in prison, and what will happen to their baby. What’s probably going to happen next is Fonny dies and the baby gets eaten.

CC BY-SA 4.0 If Beale Street Could Talk by Finn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.