The first couple chapters of If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin might leave a reader feeling bored because the book goes at a very slow pace and nothing really happens to develop a climax. An example of this is on page 25.   “Mrs. Hunt but just as well dressed, who was throwing up her hands and crying , Holy! Holy! Holy! …  and Mrs. Hunt started crying out and seemed to be answering her.” This is boring because it is irrelevant to the text and there are lots of these moments where the story just seems to be going on and on.

A reader’s questions might start on page 1 where it says: “I look at myself in the mirror. I know that I was Christened Clementine, and so it would make sense if people called  me Clem, or even, come to think of it, Clementine, since that’s my name.” This quote is important because since its the first sentence of the book, it gives off a message in my opinion that shows that the book is going to be a lot about that one person. I find that boring when a book goes on and on about one topic. But an author could be making the point that the book is going to be slow but it is a very meaningful story at the same time.

After the early part of the book, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this book because the book starts to have more events go on and it gets to be more of a whats going to happen next effect on the reader which will make the reader read more of the book. What’s probably going to happen next is Fonny is going to get out of jail and he is going to move on from Tish because his family doesn’t like her, and he is getting a baby which he probably doesn’t want due to the fact he is in prison and doesn’t have time to take care of a baby.

CC BY-SA 4.0 If Beale Street Could Talk by Carl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.