This I believe…… Respect is a meaningful word for us. Most people go through life and always hear about the word respect, but they don’t know what it means. Respect is the esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person. Somethings in life we need to hold in respect are. Respect yourself, respect for others, and respect for property. Also respect is the act of showing someone that you value his or her feelings and thoughts. Respect is a universal value that each person desires not only to represent, but also to receive and also is not just what you say but also  the way you act. Showing people that you take their feelings and thoughts into consideration are how to earn respect. If you demonstrate respect toward others, then others will respect you and listen to your opinions.

Respect begins with self-respect and then extends to the respect of others. Self-respect occurs only when you listen to yourself and place your opinions and feelings are before others. Can you imagine a world without respect? For example, walking by someone who has their hands full and not offering to open the door for them, or giving a nice comment to someone who is having a bad day. Doing these things will bring a smile to someone’s face and influence them to be respectful to others. I believe that when you respect others you will be respected back and be remembered as a respectful person.

I didn’t take respect seriously until the end of my junior. It took a lot of bad behavior to finally figure it out. I can’t figure out what made me want to change, it could be numerous reasons. Maybe it was all the teasing I did to other people, and later I was teased. It could also be talking behind people back and then finding out it’s been done to me. Having all these things happen to me made me realize that being disrespectful wasn’t getting me anywhere and that’s when I realized I needed to change and start being respectful. I needed to prove to my family and friends that I had changed. Although I am respectful to others I still don’t always get respected back, but I can’t let that discourage me; it makes me want to give more to influence people to be respectful.

I also think respect and karma go hand and hand. Some people don’t believe in karma, but if you really think about the things you’ve done and the things that have happened after you did it the outcome wasn’t good. I believe respect is another way of being nice and helpful. If someone asked for help, do so with a smile. Because that could be you asking for help and you’re going to want respect. I’ve learned that if you do things for others out of respect they will be there when you need it. I value a lot of things in my life, but the one I value most is respect because respect is the key to a good life.

Photo by geralt (Pixabay)

CC BY-SA 4.0 Respect by Hamza is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.