Adrianna Haslet-Davis fell victim to a terrorist attack in Boston. Dealing with the consequences of that attack, including the loss of her left leg, has not been an easy road. Haslet-Davis is also an outspoken advocate of the death penalty in the United States. In a Time magazine article(https://nowcomment.com/documents/116618), Haslet-Davis is quoted as saying, “I hope that the death penalty, in this case, sets a precedent, and I hope that it’s a deterrent. I hope it sends a message from Boston and America: We don’t put up with terrorism or terrorists. You’re not going to get a bed or a television or an occasional phone call to your family. When you take lives, yours can be taken as well.”

Haslet-Davis is one of many soldiers in an ever constant war over the need for capital punishment. Survivors like her seem to be the biggest advocates for keeping capital punishment intact, as they see it as justice being served. Advocates of capital punishment see a lifetime in prison as too generous a sentence for individuals who have ruined lives forever. However, a war is two-sided. As sure as Haslet-Davis is in her argument, there are those who are just as adamant in arguing for capital punishment to be abolished.

As mentioned in my previous discussion, the United States is one of the last “developed” nations who still practice the death penalty. Advocates for abolishing the death penalty claim that as a “developed” nation, the United States should be able to move past primitive forms of justice. Popular arguments include the great financial costs of death penalty cases, the questionable ethics of taking life, and the impact on society. In an article from TIme, David J. Burge stated, “Capital punishment runs counter to core conservative principles of life, fiscal responsibility, and limited government. The reality is that capital punishment is nothing more than an expensive, wasteful and risky government program.” As the war over the death penalty continues, both sides turn up the heat. Only time will tell where this war goes.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why The Death Penalty Should Live by Carlos is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.