My name is Abraham and I was born in Honduras. I am 18 years old.  I live in New York. In school I like to focus doing my classwork, and when I am out of school, I like to play soccer. I am particularly good at playing soccer. I became good at this because that’s what I want to do in the future. I would like to accomplish my dream of being a professional soccer player.

I immigrated to New York four years ago. My life changed in many ways when I immigrated. The change I’m happiest about is my family because some of us had never met each other before. On the other hand, I am sad that my mom is in Honduras, missing us a lot. Now I speak English, and I feel proud of myself of being bilingual, which is a good thing to help some of my family members.

There was a time in my life when I experienced injustice. This was the time when I got into trouble. I got locked up for two days, and nobody was there for me, but family.  In my opinion, family is always going to be with us forever. Friends and gangs are only going to be there when they need something. This was unjust because I thought I got people outside who could be with me when I needed them.

Photo by KkleinRN

CC BY-SA 4.0 Meeting My Family by Abraham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jillian Nelson 4 months ago

Abraham,

Thank you for sharing your story, it is very inspiring. I can relate to you in so many ways. I too am a soccer player and I am going to continue playing soccer in college. It is an amazing sport that brings people from so many different backgrounds together. I can also relate to the family aspect of your story. Sometimes your friends can let you down, and don’t get me wrong your family can let you down too, but they will always be there for you no matter what. This feeling of belonging within your family is something that is indescribable. Having that kind of support system and love is what everyone is deserving of and I am so glad you have that. you mentioned that language can be a cultural barrier coming from another country, I would like to know more about the other cultural barriers you faced when moving here. Thank you again for sharing your story, I hope to see more of your posts in the future.

2. Skye 4 months ago

Abraham, thank you for sharing your story. Your determination in soccer is really inspiring to read, and I hope you continue to be passionate throughout the rest of your life. The way you write about the role of family in your life is beautiful, and the examples you gave of times they were there for you were so powerful. From just this short essay, I can tell how hard working you are. Not only to immigrate as a child, but to be bilingual, is a show of your strength. Living without a parents can be very difficult, but you are still able to look on the bright side of having family in New York. I hope you continue to carry this optimistic attitude and positivity.

3. Emmanuela 4 months ago

I love your story and hope you continue to pursue your dreams in playing soccer. I think it is important to have such a mentality at your age because it will guide you through the rest of your life and keep you on a positive and successful track. You have already accomplished so much, it is very impressive to be able to speak two languages. It just shows that if you truly want something you must work for it and will achieve it. At the end of the day blood is always thicker than water, so continue to keep that strong bond with your family and I wish you the best life and continue your dreams in pursing a professional career in soccer.

4. Griffin 4 months ago

Abraham,
    Your story is inspiring for me because it is rare these days that people are willing to follow their dreams. It is so cool that you are training to be a professional soccer player while still maintaining your studies. I appreciate your candidness in telling a piece of your story. It is so cool that you are able to speak two languages fluently; I have always wanted to speak more than one language. I am sorry to hear that you got locked up and that you expected more from your friends, but it is good that your family was there for you when no one else does. I can only imagine how much you appreciate them.