A critical part of being American is challenging yourself and pushing the limits you set on yourself. In Moxie, by Jennifer Mathieu, a girl speaks her mind to make a permanent change in her life. Viv, the main character, has injustices done to her and she does something about it. Writing the zines, she challenges herself to get out of her comfort zone, and challenges authority to make a change.  

Just like the sexual assaults in Moxie, we can relate very much because of the recent scandals happening at MSU. A trusted Athletic Doctor, Larry Nassar was sentenced to 40-175 years in prison for multiple counts of criminal sexual conduct and child pornography. Prosecutor Angela Povilaitis thanked the victims for coming forward and said, “We have seen the worst of humanity and the best in the last couple of days . . . how one voice can start a movement, how a reckoning can deliver justice,” (qtd. in Washingtonpost.com).

The “Me Too” movement has been everywhere recently. Women who feel they had been sexually assaulted are coming out to let the world know what is happening behind closed doors. The woman who founded the Me Too Movement in 2006, Tarana Burke, said “On one side, it’s a bold declarative statement that ‘I’m not ashamed’ and ‘I’m not alone.’ On the other side, it’s a statement from survivor to survivor that says ‘I see you, I hear you, I understand you and I’m here for you or I get it.'” (Burke, CNN). The reason for Tarana founding this movement is to show that you are not alone in the fight against sexual assault. She is bringing together people who had common experiences to be better for society.

Hobson, Will. “Larry Nassar, Former USA Gymnastics Doctor, Sentenced to 40-175 Years for Sex Crimes.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 24 Jan. 2018, www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/larry-nassar-former-usa-gymnastics-doctor-due-to-be-sentenced-for-sex-crimes/2018/01/24/9acc22f8-0115-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6a6b351a9d1f.

Journal-Constitution, Najja Parker The Atlanta. “Who Is Tarana Burke? Meet the Woman Who Started the Me Too Movement a Decade Ago.” Ajc, 2017, www.ajc.com/news/world/who-tarana-burke-meet-the-woman-who-started-the-too-movement-decade-ago/i8NEiuFHKaIvBh9ucukidK/.

MATHIEU, JENNIFER. MOXIE. FABER AND FABER, 2018.

Image

https://www.google.com/search?q=riot+grrls&safe=active&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS813US813&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU5ruww67eAhVlRN8KHWo_CM0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=913#imgrc=Z4AU4ha0Id1FCM:

CC BY-SA 4.0 Coming Together by Megan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.