Have you ever been determined to do something that no matter what consequences there are you won’t let anything get in your way to stop you ?. Have you ever fought for a good cause out of the goodness of your heart?. Integrity, compassion, and kindness are all rare quality traits to come by in people. John Lewis the U.S representative of Georgia displays and naturally has all these characteristics. compassion, John lewis knew by suing Troy State University a segregated school for not letting him transfer he would face violence, harassment, and major prejudice still he was willing to go through all that because he wanted to have the same opportunities of any other white American student. Integrity, no matter how  bad the consequences were John Lewis would be the person to step up and do the right thing, Kindness, giving back and fighting for not only his but a whole communities rights truly display how kind hearted John Lewis is.

March by John Lewis is a story of a farm boy from Alabama that grew up to be one of the biggest civil rights activist. John lewis stood out from other kids, as everyday clothes he would always dress up and wear a tie and some grownups would tease him about that, telling him he dresses like a preacher. His job on the farm was to tend to the chickens, he was very passionate towards the chicken, he would host sermons and read passages from the bible to them. When his dad would slaughter one of his chickens for dinner or sold them he would protest by not speaking to him for weeks. All of these behaviors will later portray on a much larger scale and target much more important things then the death of chickens. February 7th, 1960 Four African American college students walked up to a whites only lunch counter at the local Woolworth’s store in Greensboro, North Carolina, and kindly asked to be served. When service was refused, the students sat patiently for several hours. Despite threats and harassment, the students sat quietly and waited to be served.

Non violence was the key to the major success they had in the civil rights movement. John Lewis and others believed that if the violence were only on the part of the white community, the world would see the righteousness of their cause. Martin Luther King championed this approach as an alternative to armed uprising. King’s peaceful movement was inspired by the teachings of Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi. Non violence methods were used all over America they were very impactful in the south. On March 7, 1965,also known as “Bloody Sunday”, John lewis led a march for voting rights in Selma, Alabama. 600 demonstrators were behind John Lewis on this march, The sheriff warned the people that they had two minutes to break up the march, but the deputies attacked sooner. The demonstrators were tear gassed, clubbed, spat on, whipped, trampled by horses, and harrassed by others for demanding the right to register to vote.

The civil rights era was a success, all the harassment, violence, and punishment, African American demonstrators went through everyday to see results was worth it. In 2008 November, 4th the first African American president was elected. Barack Hussein Obama II gave a speech on the events that happened 50 years ago in Selma, Alabama, he was joined by thousands of Americans including the one who started the march congressman John Lewis to honor the sacrifice and bravery of the men and women who bled there in 1965. Still, even with the progress those men and women afforded us, great challenges still and will always remain. That’s why the legacy of Selma must never be forgotten and looked back on for inspiration to future generation. the lesson of Selma isn’t an outlier of the American experience, [Selma] is instead the manifestation of a creed written into our founding documents: ‘We the People…in order to form a more perfect union.’ ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.’”- President Barack Obama.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/03/08/president-obama-marks-50th-anniversary-marches-selma-montgomery

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/civil-rights-movement

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/made-by-history/wp/2018/01/15/the-radicalism-of-martin-luther-kings-nonviolent-resistance/?utm_term=.da0782480a16

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Fight For Equallity by Elijah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.