American values are something that every American citizen has. These values could vary from person to person. Everybody could have different ones. But every citizen has them. They are all important to each citizen, cause without them, we wouldn’t be Americans. The author of the book Dangerous, Milo Yiannopoulos, is a great advocate for these. Even if he’s slandered and thrown to the wolves for it. “Social justice warriors, the conservative establishment, and mainstream media has thrown every label in the book at me: sexist, misogynist, self-hating homophobe, self-hating anti-Semite, Islamophobe, transphobe, facist, fascist, ‘alt-right’, white supremacist, Nazi, and, finally, ‘pedophile advocate’.” (Yiannopoulos 1)

Since these values vary for everyone, I naturally have some. For me, these values are found in the Bill of Rights. Specifically the first and second amendment. The freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. These freedoms are not found in most other countries. They certainly aren’t found together in any other country. We in America need to embrace this wonderful gift the Founding Fathers have given us.

The first amendment gives us the freedom to express ourselves in the way we choose. Speech, religion, assembly, press. The only thing that would not be protected by the first amendment would be speech that is specifically meant to hurt someone. Like a threat or call to violence. Or calling a hit on somebody. The point is, the freedom of speech and expression is pretty unrestricted. Even with all the bogus “hate speech” crap that is going around today. Take Milo’s experience (one of many) he shares in this book: “Feminists hate me for a myriad of reasons. When no one else was speaking out against them, I took on some of their leading champions during the GamerGate controversy, and exposed their bogus complaints of ‘online harassment.’ I go on TV and call them ‘darling’ to their faces. They hate that.” (Yiannopoulos 101). He goes on to add a brilliant point: “The dark side of this instinct, however, is the hatred of people deemed too successful or well-off: the ‘privileged.’ ‘Puritanism,’ wrote H.L. Mencken, whose lifetime spanned the first progressive era, is the ‘haunting fear that someone, somewhere, might be happy.’” (Yiannopoulos 37) ”Hate speech” is, well it’s not even real, but it’s also protected by the first amendment. Just because you don’t like something I say, doesn’t mean it should be illegal. It’s time to grow up.

Now, the second amendment is my personal favorite, as good as the first amendment is. This amendment allows private citizens to own and carry firearms. This amendment was created to protect the citizens of this great country against a tyrannical government. Not hunting, like many of people think. This right gives a lot of power back to the citizens in a time of big government. This amendment has been under a lot of fire recently with all of the shootings. I’m here to tell you that these people are dead wrong. I won’t go way into it, but I will bring this up: gun deaths (this includes all deaths such as suicides) per-year in the US is around 33,000. Lives saved by guns per-year is anywhere 500,000-3 million. Both according to the CDC.

These amendments define us as Americans. They shape us and make us who we are. These freedoms are often taken for granted in the US today. Some people even wanna take them away. That is both idiotic and would be incredibly bad. These freedoms are two of the defining points of this nation. You do not wanna take them away because once they’re gone, they’re gone forever.

Yiannopoulos, Milo. Dangerous. Dangerous Books. 2017

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Values by Jake is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.