,

The items in my shadow box represent the counter-narrative the outside of the shadow box represents the dominant narrative. When people see me they start giving assumptions about what I am and who I am in their perspective. For people who don’t know me think I am a bad person, a kid who gets F’s in class and talks back to everybody. The expectation that people have for me is shocking to me but when people notice who I am and what I am, it’s a difference for the people and they realize that they made a mistake. All of these expectations for me is shocking the real truth of what I am and who I am is really that I am a nice boy. They think I get bad grades that’s not true I get pretty good grades. In my life I have never talked back to anyone because I’m nice, I give people a second chance to reset themselves and I help people who are stuck on what we are doing and need also need help on work or projects. In reality, I’m not the typical student that is looking for trouble, all I am is a student that tries his best at everything and will never do something bad. People need to stop giving assumptions to other people just based on their race or ethnicity or nationality they need to get to know the person a little bit more that is how we are going to stop making assumptions.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box by Adrian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer Tran 1 month ago

Hi Adrian!

This is a really great post! I thought the way you designed your shadow box was very intriguing. Adding photos of yourself with you family made it very intimate. When you said, “When people see me they start giving assumptions about what I am and who I am in their perspective”, it really reminded me of when I was living in Texas and I was one of the few asian students. People constantly assumed that I was amazing at math, quiet and reserved. I think it is important for us to break this habit of assumptions! It starts with you! When you catch yourself making assumptions about someone, take a step back and try to get to know them! When someone was giving you odd looks and basing their opinion of you off of stereotypes, how did you respond?