Through my readings, I researched the aftermath of Kavanaugh’s confirmation and the effects it has on the #MeToo movement. In all three of the articles, they all regard personal narratives, and details providing to the situation. In the first article, the author features the presidential views held with the #MeToo movement. The remarks stated were noted to encourage a horrid recognition of rape culture, currently concerning our society today. The quote by Tami Sawyer, “Trump’s taunts of Professor Ford, and the cheers they elicited in the arena where the rally was held, set a precedent that further emboldens rape culture in our country. It was clear that Trump’s only concern is for the life of the man accused by more than one woman of sexual assault or misconduct and not for the women who have lived with the trauma of being assaulted. Judge Kavanaugh has denied the allegations against him. As I drove, I could only think of the young women and the children who would hear the President’s words and how their own voices would be muted by his lack of empathy and the bravado with which he sought to disempower his own accusers and those of Kavanaugh.” With this, the author expresses her deep concern for our nation, due to the blatantly disrespectful statements made by President Trump. Pertaining to our society’s view of rape culture, the president made offensive and ignorant comments that struck survivors with deep concern for what the future holds for those individuals.  

In the next two articles, the similarities that connect them are both tied together with what is next in our society after the current events, placing Kavanaugh into the supreme court. What’s Next For #MeToo After Kavanaugh Confirmation? (Emanuella Grinberg, CNN) concerns the current state of the #MeToo movement, and where we should go from the ruling social and political state we are in. The author illustrates how activists and survivors are channeling their anger towards making political and legislative action. She says that by encouraging readers to vote, will can an immense impact to prevent further events such as this one. By raising awareness on ballot initiatives, we can influence others to direct their anger into a cause, such as the polls.  

Many wonder how Dr. Christine Blasey Ford is handling the current climate of the situation. In Christine Blasey Ford Turns Pain Into Power, Tess Taylor shows how she turns her suffering into a form of revolution to make change. In order to do so, she influences many women with her bravery, and her fearlessness to stand up against her aggressor in such a vulnerable state of the public. This article talks about how important it is to stand up to influence change, because we may not know of the effects it has on our world.  Showing gratitude for making our voices heard, we can work to build a new nation. I’m sitting on a different couch now, watching Christine Blasey Ford and I am ready to be furious. And what I feel — no matter what happens — is gratitude. I am grateful to her for reminding us again —our voices matter, our stories matter, our bodies matter, and that we deserve a world in which we can speak truth to power. Whatever happens, she’s reminding us of this: She’s charging us with the work ahead.” – Tess Taylor.

NowComment sources:

https://nowcomment.com/documents/116159#.W-H-ry2ZMcg

CC BY-SA 4.0 From Pain to Power by Isabella is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.