This question is important to me because I get strong emotions when I’m in school and see or hear people not doing what they have to and it gets me frustrated.

I already know that some people don’t do work because they don’t understand yet they won’t ask for help instead they would argue with the teacher on how they are not teaching them. Also I know most people complain they are tired that school is too much for them yet they still choose to come but still don’t do anything.

What I would like to know is why; why would you come to school just to sit there and complain for all that just stay home. Also why would you blame the teacher for your shortcomings when you choose not to pay attention. I would like to know is what goes through people minds when they enter a school and decide they are not going to learn or do work.

I did some research, and I found that school has little purpose for youth. In an article on Quartz, “Doing well in school is nothing to be proud of,” by Olivia Goldhill. She says: “Of course pursuing knowledge is a valuable endeavor. But you can gain knowledge whether you’re studying for a final or working in kitchens, farms, concert halls, and railways.”

I found this quote important because I’ve spoken to other students before and this is exactly how they thought. They say there’s no reason to come to school and be book smart when they can be street smart. Students say people come to school just to get a diploma but not learn about anything they need for life they would rather not come or just not do anything because they already have their life situated.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Why do people feel the need to come to school and do nothing? by Jada is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sante 3 weeks ago

Jada,
    You being up some interesting ideas about the importance of school in people’s lives and why students often choose not to fully participate. Being a student, I understand this; the monotony of the school day in addition to what feels like the constant pressure to perform often makes me just want to stop trying. A big factor of this is that as teenagers, our brain is not fully developed. So many studies have shown that we often don’t think rationally and consider the long term consequences of our actions. Kids decide to slack off in school because they don’t think about the importance and impact that school has on their later lives. (https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=3051) I think this brings up the serious question of how do we help those students? Im curious to know your thoughts on this. You said how students come to school “ but not learn about anything they need for life they would rather not come or just not do anything because they already have their life situated.” While school might not teach us life skills, the reality of the situation is that we are able to better our socioeconomic status through education and college. Receiving a higher education opens so many more doors that aren’t available to those who have the life skills, but don’t perform well in school.

Jada 1 week ago

Sante,
      As teenagers, we know right from wrong. That’s a lame excuse saying our brains aren’t fully developed because we still know what it is that needs to be done. Most teeneagers just dont care or they do great in life without high school. High school doesn’t teach you anything about the real life: how to do taxes, pay bills, how to get a job, nothing! So it has nothing to do with our brains not fully developing. It’s just a choice to make.

2. Jacob 3 weeks ago

Jada, this is certainly an interesting read. I think you bring an interesting point of view into the conversation of schooling, and possible problems for it. I do think that your essay could be slightly more definite, as to me it seems to be a lot of feelings. Some people have issues focusing, and should those people be left to struggle simply because they cannot? I also would like to see more statistics around apathy towards schooling. One interesting website that could help is the National Center for Education Statistics, which gives definite numbers surrounding students disengagement in school. Thought.co is also an interesting read about how bad teachers can negatively impact learning, even though they’re not as common. These would both be useful for your post.

National Center for Education Statistics:
    https://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/web/93149.asp

Thought.co:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/issues-that-negatively-impacts-student-learning-319442

3. Emma 3 weeks ago

Jada, this was an interesting topic to discuss. Your writing was engaging and presented a lot of good points for readers to consider. I liked how you said, “…why would you blame the teacher for your shortcomings when you choose not to pay attention.” This is an interesting way to look at the argument, especially because many believe that the students’ shortcomings are the fault of the teacher. I thought that this creativity in your argument added a lot to your point. It would also be interesting to look at this point about teachers from the opposite viewpoint. Here’s an article that might help you do that: https://teachingcenter.wustl.edu/resources/teaching-methods/participation/tips-for-increasing-student-participation/
    I look forward to hearing what else you have to say on this topic. Thank you for sharing!

4. Yulisa 3 weeks ago

Jada, I think you make a very interesting point as to why this is an issue. I like how you used a resource to support your idea that some schools have little purpose for youth. I think it would be more helpful if you found some articles directly from the students themselves so that you could show their perspective on this issue. I would like to know what you find out.

5. Katie 3 weeks ago

Jada, I think that a lot of students just don’t have the right kind of personality that allows them to sit in a classroom for hours on end without getting frustrated or bored. A lot of students go to school simply because they are required to. I think that for some people, they can learn best outside of school, but some effort is required when they are in school so that they can at least get a diploma and have a better chance of a stable job. However, the school system is very flawed in some cases and simply isn’t conducive to learning. Here’s an article about the effects of boredom on students:
    https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/ed/17/01/bored-out-their-minds| NowComment

Jada 1 week ago

Katie,
      It sounds to me that you are defending the idiotic people that actually do that in school. Don’t get me wrong, I personally did this my freshman year, but I got it together because I know where my priorities belong. So there’s no excuse. It’s either they get it together or they don’t, and just fail at life.

6. Gwendolyn 3 weeks ago

Jada, I completely understand where you are coming from in this post. I often feel frustrated also when I work very hard and others just sit around and do nothing. I liked how you went through all of the reasons that a person may not be paying attention in school. Check out this article about if school starts too early (https://www.educationnext.org/do-schools-begin-too-early/) that could be one reason why everyone is tired and does not pay attention. This article also reminded me of a book I read when I was little about going to school. The book explained that while going to school is the law, people get the most out of school if they pay attention and work hard. I would love to read more of you work. I think a great topic for you to write about would be what schools can do to keep their kids engaged and focused. I loved reading your post!

Thanks for writing this Jada.

7. Johnny 3 weeks ago

Interesting topic you’ve chosen to discuss, Jada. I believe that you are indicting that students may have a hard time focusing during school because of either poor teaching styles or just a lack of interest in the topics being covered. I think that schools can increase attention of students by finding unique teaching styles like hands on activities and other LABs. You are pushing against knowledge by memorization and pushing for knowledge by experience. I agree with you, some people learn better with hands on activities. However, many students have different learning styles and what works best for one person might not work for someone else. This is why I believe that students must get to know their students on a personal level to discover how they can excel best. Only then will students retain the most knowledge for what they need to know. Interesting topic to be further discussed! https://www.huffingtonpost.com/grant-wiggins/why-students-are-bored_b_4274474.html

8. Johnny 3 weeks ago

Interesting topic you’ve chosen to discuss, Jada. I believe that you are indicting that students may have a hard time focusing during school because of either poor teaching styles or just a lack of interest in the topics being covered. I think that schools can increase attention of students by finding unique teaching styles like hands on activities and other LABs. You are pushing against knowledge by memorization and pushing for knowledge by experience. I agree with you, some people learn better with hands on activities. However, many students have different learning styles and what works best for one person might not work for someone else. This is why I believe that students must get to know their students on a personal level to discover how they can excel best. Only then will students retain the most knowledge for what they need to know. Interesting topic to be further discussed!
    Interesting topic you’ve chosen to discuss, Jada. I believe that you are indicting that students may have a hard time focusing during school because of either poor teaching styles or just a lack of interest in the topics being covered. I think that schools can increase attention of students by finding unique teaching styles like hands on activities and other LABs. You are pushing against knowledge by memorization and pushing for knowledge by experience. I agree with you, some people learn better with hands on activities. However, many students have different learning styles and what works best for one person might not work for someone else. This is why I believe that students must get to know their students on a personal level to discover how they can excel best. Only then will students retain the most knowledge for what they need to know. Interesting topic to be further discussed! Check out this link with further information on your topic: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/grant-wiggins/why-students-are-bored_b_4274474.html

9. Johnny 4 weeks ago

10. Noah 4 weeks ago

Jada I agree with you saying why come to school just to sit and complain and not learn when you could just stay home. It truly is just a waste of time and why try to argue with your teacher when its’s just gonna make you both frustrated. I use to just always blame it on teacher but you have to realize you just need to ask more questions and try to be more interested in it it helps rather than sitting and complaining and not doing anything about it. Getting the knowledge that you need is very valuable to your life

Jada 1 week ago

I completely agree with you that the knowledge in school is valuable in life. My freshman year of high school I did exactly that until I realized I need to get it together so I can graduate. Thank you for your feedback.