While furthering my knowledge on gun control, I discovered many different stories and ideas that sparked my interests. I learned about Emma Gonzalez and her constant attempts to protest gun violence in schools and places that should be sanctuaries of safety in our society. Furthermore, I learned about arguments stating that by not controlling gun violence, the government is an objection to the Constitution, violating our rights to life. “The right to live free from violence, discrimination and fear has been superseded by a sense of entitlement to own a practically unlimited array of deadly weapons.” The government’s inability to control gun violence has become unconstitutional, even though many have argued that it is unconstitutional to limit the number of guns and weaponry owned. I also learned about the type of weapons being used in mass shootings, and how semiautomatic weapons are the most common. I related to these articles in many ways.

Throughout these articles, I made came to the realization that a school shooting is a very likely possibility. I also observed that many people share the fears that I have about safety within schools. It was very nice to feel that I am not alone in my generations’ struggle to achieve safety through more precise gun laws. As we call our government to act, our voices are being silenced.  

More specifically, in the article Inspired by the Activism of Emma González we are forced to address the fact that as young people many of our opinions are considered unimportant or invalid. People my age who comment on the issue of safety and gun control are often disregarded because we are, “too young to know enough about it.” The irony of the situation is that we, the students, have more knowledge of these events than anyone because we are living through them. It is us who are scared for our lives while trying to receive an education. Another topic being discussed was the use of semiautomatic weapons for harm.

Though semiautomatic weapons were created to be used in the military, they have become easily accessible. These weapons are capable of killing masses of people, without stopping to refuel for ammunition. Just as Robert Gebelhoff, the author of  “This is how we save lives from gun violence,” said, the top five shootings with the most casualties have resulted from semiautomatic weapons. In my opinion, it is our duty as a society to combat the easy accessibility to weapons capable of killing hundreds.

All three of these articles emphasize the importance of our generation’s voice and how we can make a change. We must speak our minds to make a difference and not take no for an answer.

This is the link to the articles used in this response:

https://nowcomment.com/documents/116111#.W-MF32hKjrc

CC BY-SA 4.0 Our Voices Matter by Anna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jake 2 months ago

So, you used a lot of subjective ideas and feelings in this piece. You used very clever wordplay by saying “semiautomatic weapons”, very clever. Unfortunately for you, pretty much all weapons legal for private citizens are semiautomatic. Including handguns. Handguns make up most of the gun deaths in America, excluding suicides of course. Rifles (“Assault” Rifles are not a thing) hardly make up any of the homicides according to the FBI. You’re 4x more likely to be stabbed to death than being killed with a rifle. Banning or regulating firearms is a very horrid idea. The number of gun homicides in America per-year is around 33,000, 11,000 if you exclude suicides. Now, compare that to the number of lives saved by guns each year, which is anywhere between 500,000-3 million according to the CDC. Banning or regulating firearms is an asinine idea that will only hurt this country more.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/06/more-misleading-information-from-bloombergs-everytown-for-gun-safety-on-guns-analysis-of-recent-mass-shootings/

http://truthinmedia.com/unpublished-cdc-study-2-million-yearly-defensive-gun-uses/

2. Amani 2 months ago

Anna,

I really enjoying reading your piece about gun violence and gun control. I like how you brought up a new side to the “is this unconstitutional?” debate, because while many argue that banning guns goes against the second amendment, we are also supposed to have the “right to live free of violence, discrimination and fear”, which is definitely not true now with the easy access to guns and many school shootings. I also like how you related it to your life and commented on the irony of people who say that teenagers don’t know much so they shouldn’t be included in the discussion, while in fact we are the ones being affected by school shootings and such. Lastly, I liked how you also clarified that weapons that were originally made for wartime are now being basically handed out because they are so easy to get a hold of.

In the end, I think you did a great job in writing an argumentative piece about how youths’ voices are important in issues such as gun violence and how teenagers should not be afraid to speak their mind. One article related to this topic is “Young people can’t change US gun law alone – but they can tip the balance”, which you may be interested in reading. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/23/young-people-us-gun-law-florida-schoolchildren