“This is America” is a song written by Childish Gambino (Donald Glover). This song has subliminal messages. For example, he references the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and he takes Jim Crow poses that he acts out. Gambino calls us out on being oblivious to what’s going on because we’re to preoccupied with having fun and partying through everything at every chance that we get.

I really want to know what was the process was for making this video and how he managed to incorporate so many historical references in the span of a four-minute video. The one burning question I have about this video is what did he mean in the last few second of his video when he was being chased by a mob of people.

The New York Times said this about the video: “There’s plenty of messaging about race, violence and the entertainment industry in the song and video — which helps explain why fans and critics have devoted so much time to dissecting its references and debating its meaning. Here are some of their sharpest insights.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 How did he get so much into a short video? by Nathaniel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lindsey 2 weeks ago

This is an interesting interpretation of Donald Glover’s music video. Until I did further research, I had no clue how much symbolism he used. This article explains a lot of the different symbols and digs deeper into the meaning of video and song. https://www.thisisinsider.com/this-is-america-music-video-meaning-references-childish-gambino-donald-glover-2018-5#the-ending-of-the-video-draws-comparisons-to-get-out-25

2. Clara 3 weeks ago

Nathaniel, I have seen this music video as well and I was too surprised. The artist does incorporate many references in a small time and I think that is what makes this music video, and song, so powerful. The article I have attached is an expert describing the symbolism used in the video. I found it very interesting and I think because of the statement, “The one burning question I have about this video is what did he mean in the last few second of his video when he was being chased by a mob of people,” you will find it interesting as well.

http://time.com/5267890/childish-gambino-this-is-america-meaning/